Vanguard series 2 or tikka t3 lite?

reggart

I am finally going to buy an elk rifle to call my own. I want the rifle to be light and easy to swing just like my old 270 deer rifle but it has to be a rock solid gun that will last me a long time (I have owned my 270 for 27 very tough seasons). I am thinking either 300 win or 300 wby as my caliber of choice and I have every intention of putting a break on it.

I have looked at them all and I have decided not to spend too much on the rifle and the savings will go towards a good scope.

I really liked the tikka t3 light, it feels great but I cannot get over the plastic parts (bolt release, bolt cap on back, trigger guard). What kind of wear are you getting out of your tikka's?

My 2nd choice from a feel perspective is the weatherby vangaurd series 2. It feels almost as good and all of the parts are metal, which tells me they will still be fully functioning in 20 years after I beat the hell out of it.

I also have all the dies and brass for a 300 wby, another point for the weatherby.

I want to like the tikka based on all the reviews but the plastic............convince me why I want it over the weatherby.

Personally, I'd go with the Tikka. I owned a Vanguard and it was not a bad gun, but it had a horrible trigger and accuracy was ok at about 1.25 inches. I have since bought two Tikkas, one in 708 and the other in 300WSM. They have an excellent trigger and a silky smooth action, the 300WSM gives .75 inch groups (5 shots) and the 708 gives .4 inch groups with basic reloading efforts.

Yes, they are abit "plasticy", but those parts can be replaced. They are also available in a laminated stock. If you are going to "beat the hell out of it" for 20 years, then those replacement parts are justifiable in my opinion.

The bolt release isn't actually plastic. I thought that myself untill recently when I had it apart. Looks can be deceiving?

Everyone I know that has a Tikka loves it. I have one in .270 and it is a great gun. They all shoot very well out of the box. I've never shot the S2 but if I were to buy a new rifle and shoot it without modifications I'd go with the Tikka. I you plan on modifying with a new stock I'd go with the S2, it seems easier to get accessories for it than the Tikka. I do plan on buying an S2 in .257 weatherby but it will get a new stock and possibly trigger.

Another vote for the Tikka! Mine stays in the truck during the winter and spends alot of time on my 4wheeler when I'm chasing coyotes. I've had it for a few years now and never had a single problem with it. Oh, and it shoots fricken lights out with all 3 bullets I've played with so far!

I like the Vanguard...it's a great platform and I wouldn't own a Tikka.

I've owned both of these rounds for decades, and between the two, I'd go with the 300 Win.

Ballistically, they are very close, and it's easier to get good 300 Win brass, and 300 Win is just easier all-around.

But I prefer the 300 WSM to either of those.

300 WSM will do everything the other two will, in a smaller, lighter package, and without a brake.

TC

Last edited:
I own 3 Vanguards and no Tikkas. I've looked at the Tikkas before and just never found them to feel as stout as the Vanguard. I know they're supposed to be accurate, but they always felt cheap.

I'd go for the Vanguard S2.

I have been wanting a light weight stainless elk rifle for bad weather hunts. I was looking at the Savage and the Tikka (being left handed my choices are quite limited). I too originally thought the Tikkas had too much plastic. Then my girlfriend bought a slightly used Tikka in 7-08. I love that little rifle. I even love that plastic mag that I didn't like at all in the store. It is a simple design that just works and boy does it shoot! I am sold and will get a Tikka in either 300win or wsm for next season. Hopefully I can find a lefty on sale after the rifle season. Too bad my girlfriend's Tikka sports my monarch scope I was planning on putting on mine when I get it!

I own several tikkas and I have owned a stainless vanguard in 300 wby, my friend now owns the vanguard and loves it. he takes the thing everywhere. as far as an out of the box rifle I think the tikka has a significant lead in the accuracy department. however with both choices there is a magazine length issue. If it were me I would get a tikka in 300 wsm and get a long action magazine for it so you can seat long bullets to the lands.
But to answer your question about the plastic tikkas. Yes its a little bothersome that they have so much plastic, but it makes them light and you cant seem to be able to break it or make one fail in anyway. I think you are safe going either way though. pick the caliber you want the most...if its the wby, then vanguard it is, if its one of the other 2 300's then I vote tikka.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I am still on the fence and can't seem to find a the definitive answer. I do appreciate the 300wby round and I have probably $250 in reloading components for the $300wby so I am partial to go that route but on the other hand, the $300wby is an expensive round to load for as compared to the $300 winchester and if I forget my ammo and I am in the sticks, I am more likely to find a box of 300 win at the ma and pa store than the weatherby.

I held the tikka today, man it feels great.......

I have a Tikka T3 stainless lite in. 270WSM. In a word I love it. It is light, and is my most accurate out of the box factory rifle I own. With a good, light 2.5x-10x scope it is an impressive package. As far as plastic goes, mine has held up great under field conditions. Also, despite what we may think, plastic is not particularly fragile when properly produced. It is strong, flexible and impervious to corosion. Not to mention it is light. I will put my plastic fantastic Glock up against any steel pistol. As far as rounds go, my vote is for the 300WSM. I have owned the ones you mention, but prefer the WSM over them. It is accurate' burns less powder, has less recoil and has no useless belt. The game will never know you shot them with a WSM vs. A Weather by. :D Good luck. gun)

I have a Tikka T3 stainless lite in. 270WSM. In a word I love it. It is light, and is my most accurate out of the box factory rifle I own. With a good, light 2.5x-10x scope it is an impressive package. As far as plastic goes, mine has held up great under field conditions. Also, despite what we may think, plastic is not particularly fragile when properly produced. It is strong, flexible and impervious to corosion. Not to mention it is light. I will put my plastic fantastic Glock up against any steel pistol. As far as rounds go, my vote is for the 300WSM. I have owned the ones you mention, but prefer the WSM over them. It is accurate' burns less powder, has less recoil and has no useless belt. The game will never know you shot them with a WSM vs. A Weather by. :D Good luck. gun)

Couldn't have said it better

The problem I have with the 300 wsm is I want to shoot a high BC bullet in the 200gr weight and it is my understanding the 300 wsm doesn't like the heavier bullets.......is that true?

The problem I have with the 300 wsm is I want to shoot a high BC bullet in the 200gr weight and it is my understanding the 300 wsm doesn't like the heavier bullets.......is that true?

No, absolutely not...

There is no problem. The 300 WSM is fine with heavier bullets. It does not drive them quite as fast as the larger rounds, of course, because it holds less powder, but with the 208 A-Max, I can stay on target out to a mile.

The 300 WSM is the smallest of the group, but has the advantage of being a smaller rifle and no brake. Actually, I don't run a brake on my 300 Weatherby either...It's recoil has never bothered me, it's more of a push, but it's in a Mk5 and is a much larger rifle overall.

I'd say the 300 Weatherby has about a 100 fps advantage over the 300 WSM with bullets in the 200gr range comparing the best loads with either one... I don't shoot factory loads so I couldn't say about those.

I've been tempted to pick up a Vanguard in 300 Weatherby just because I like the Vanguard, but I really don't need another rifle...so we'll see how long I can hold out...:)

There is nothing wrong with choosing any of them really, but in my opinion, a 300 WSM with a 200 Accubond on top is BIG medicine!

TC

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.