Vanguard bottom metal problem?

tbrice23

Looking closely I see a lip around the action holes for the bottom metal. The rear lip looks mis shaped (flawed). They fit just below and in line with the steel pillars. The action screwes don't touch the sides of the bottom metal (that's good).
Are these supposed to be here to float the bottom metal ? or should I grind them off.
?

Attachments

• 20140428_104749.jpg
    20140428_104749.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140428_104530.jpg
    20140428_104530.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 65
Looking closely I see a lip around the action holes for the bottom metal. The rear lip looks mis shaped (flawed). They fit just below and in line with the steel pillars. The action screwes don't touch the sides of the bottom metal (that's good).
Are these supposed to be here to float the bottom metal ? or should I grind them off.
?

It is just for alignment and should go down in the stock allowing the bottom metal to contact the stock inletting.

If you pillar bed the stock they can be ground down or contact the pillars at the same time
the bottom metal contacts the stock. Ether way you want to end up with a metal to metal to
metal contact(Action to pillar to floor metal) and the action screws floating (Not touching the sides of the pillars).

If the bottom of the boss is not square I would probably grind it off if I pillar bedded the rifle.

J E CUSTOM

The stock is steel pillar bedded already. The lips are the only thing touching the steel pillars.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.