Vanguard 300 Weatherby, what to do

KurtB

I was able to find a very nice deal on a nib Vanguard 300 Weatherby in stainless. The test target shows a .57 group. I can't love the stock and the trigger is really bad. I have $370 in the gun and was considering a timney trigger as well as a new stock. Any thoughts on this as a potential 500 yard plus platform? Mcmillan, Accurate innovations, or other type of stock? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

I got a good deal on a 270win Vangaurd also. I have only free-floated the barrel. I believe the trigger was modified and is now superb. I just worked up a load with 140 accubonds that prints under a half inch so I would be interested in the above questions as well.

Well their are several decient stocks out theirone being the Bell & Carlson Medalist , its built like the HS stocks with the aluminum bedding block much stiffer than the tuper wear they used to sell , Boyds also makes some stocks and (another shameless plug) Joel Russo can inlet a nice laminate for you.
The triggers can be tuned down pretty light around 2.5lbs safely , some guys say 1.5 but I don't trust the factory engagments , and Timney makes a trigger for them also.
get a half way decient stock and get the trigger done and you will have a sweet shooting rig.

Also , when it comes time to make a build these actions are great to build on , they are very stiff , have a big bedding area and are just well built in general.

Kirt B

You mentioned the accurate innovations stock and
I use a lot of these with very good results.

My preference is the laminate it has the feel of
wood and is stronger than composits (but they are
heavier)

The AI stock has a full length alluminum beding
system and cost about the same as a good composite.

With no more than you have in the rifle you cant
lose by adding a good stock and trigger.

Good luck
J E CUSTOM

I have a Vanguard in 243, the test target mic'ed just over .5. I replaced the trigger with a Timney that was on sale at Midway before I even fired it. Tremendous improvement, absolutely no creep. I will probably try another Boyds laminated stock if I change the stock.
Good Luck!!

Tom manners does a stock for that action.
The trigger is basicaly the same unit as the Howa 1500, but they are not interchangable because the location screw that holds it to the action is in a slightly different possition, also the Howa is a 3 position the weatherby only a 2.
The triggers are actualy pretty good, they can be wound down quit low, certainly down to just under 2lbs, the problem is you can wind them down low enough that they are still safe and wont slam fire but you wind them past the point where the blasted safety catch will still work,
Ive tuned loads of Howas and vanguards, it is possible to alter the innards of the trigger with a little re machining, stoning and polishing and get a safe reliable trigger that breaks at 500g ( just over 1lb) but its a heck of a lot less work to swap it for a timney.
Pete

I have the same gun and love it. Be aware that the Timeny triggers can be hard to get. When I ordered mine they were on back order. I ended up talking to the factory and was told they only run them once a year. When their gone, their gone.............

I also bedded mine with Marine Tex.

I have a Vanguard that I installed a Bell & Carlson Medlist stock and Timmy trigger. This is a great setup. The stock takes very little fitting. The rifle shoots under 1" @ 100 yards. I did bed this rifle with marine tex and float the barrel.
JY

Just changed my Vanguard 7mm mag over to the B&C Medalist stock. It dropped right in and the aluminum bedding block is a hoot. Did not free float it and not sure if I will as my groups went from 7/8s down to 3/8s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KurtB,

Now this is a coincidence.

A year ago I wanted a long range (for me that's 4-500yds) elk rifle. I was debating between the .300 Win, .300 Wby and .300 RUM. I decided on the .300 Wby, bought a Vanguard.

I like to tinker with guns, and I have stocked several of my other rifles, so I thought this would be a good winter project. I ordered a AA Fancy Claro Walnut semi-finished stock from Richards Microfit. I had a local gunsmith install a KDF muzzle brake on the barrel. I pillar and glass bedded the action and glassed and free floated the barrel. I installed a Limbsaver 1" recoil pad, and installed a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. The factory trigger was a ***, so I polished the trigger and sear and cut the trigger spring so it could be adjusted. It is now fully adjustable and I set it at 2 1/2 lbs with a crisp break. I also smoothed the sharp edges of the face of the trigger, and re-blued it. I finally finished checkering it last month.

I've been working up a load with Barnes 180 gr TSX bullets. Last week 4 shots grouped 0.76" at 3180 fps. I have my new favorite elk rifle.
300wby_0022__2___small_.jpg
http://www.huntingnut.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/14157/300wby_0022__2___small_.jpg

And the coincidence? I grew up in Colorado, and my name is also Kurt B.

Last edited:
I have two Vanguards. One is a .257 Weatherby and the other is a .270 WSM.

The .257 came with a test target that measured .750 This is what I got with the specified 100 gr. factory load. Most loads shot under 1" at 100 yds. for 3 shots. I bought a B & C stock with the bedding block. I installed the stock without doing any bedding or free floating the barrel. I left the pressure point in the forend. I shot it over the weekend and got a .500 group with the last 3 factory loads that I had. I will do further testing with handloads before deciding to bed the action and free float the barrel. If It holds 1/2" at 100 yds. and holds point of impact I will probably leave it alone.

The .270 WSM came with a test target that measured .390. No factory load was specified. It only stated 130 gr. bullets. I loaded some Speer 130 gr. spitzers. It groups around .500 with the factory tupperware stock. I have done nothing to either rifle.

I like the Bell & Carlson stock. It is the Weatherby sporter version. I got the tan/black web. It is better looking, handles better and felt recoil is less.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.