Value Winnie 88 in 284 Win

P7M13

Asking for a ball park gun value before I jump to purchase it.
Came across a 1970 made Winchester 88 lever action in 284 Winchester, s/n 232xxx. Stock is light wood, pressed checkering.
Has a Simmons scope and the iron sights are still on it. Estimate 98% or better condition, one scratch on the buttstock.
Felt right, great caliber, looks good.
Tag was $1,500.
Any knowledge to share? TIA

Asking for a ball park gun value before I jump to purchase it.
Came across a 1970 made Winchester 88 lever action in 284 Winchester, s/n 232xxx. Stock is light wood, pressed checkering.
Has a Simmons scope and the iron sights are still on it. Estimate 98% or better condition, one scratch on the buttstock.
Felt right, great caliber, looks good.
Tag was $1,500.
Any knowledge to share? TIA
FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

I located 2 pre 64 model 88 in .308 caliber , in the same condition as the one you are contemplating at Guns International for are you ready $ 725.00a & $795.00 respectively.
They had one in .284 Winchester that sold for$ 1750.00.
Another site shows the same price that this seller is asking of $1500.00 (could be the same seller as everything stated about the weapon's condition is what you have posted)

Couldn't find any information about the Winchester model 88, but I am wondering why those two Winchester model 88 s are selling for so low a price. Was there any issiues that this model is known to have?
Be cautious with this model in .284 until you glean all the facts about it.

Best of Luck !

A Model 88 in .284 is on my list of guns to own. My brother has a Model 88 chambered in .308 that was our great grandfather's. My pap bought it brand new the first year the rifle was offered for sale. They're such cool rifles.

but I am wondering why those two Winchester model 88 s are selling for so low a price.
In my digging, I found that a 284 is worth 2x a 308 in that model.
243 calibers are also worth more.
The ideal one would be a hand checkered 1963 version of the 284, no idea what that's worth though.
For the one in question, the action on it is tighter than my 1947 '94. Looks excellent anf super clean inside - I wonder if it had been shot much.
As far as rifles go, estimating a heavy 9# with glass, which could explain why it doesn't have much wear.

A Model 88 in .284 is on my list of guns to own. My brother has a Model 88 chambered in .308 that was our great grandfather's. My pap bought it brand new the first year the rifle was offered for sale. They're such cool rifles.
I linherated one that is in excellent condition. The only thing missing is the clip. Asking $1600.00. let me know if you are still interested ASAP.
Jack

I'll be 80 next month so when I say I was a youngster when I owned a .284, 308 and .358 in the pre 64 Model 88. Not all at the same time because money was tight and nobody I knew owned more than 2 rifles. I had the opportunity to steal a '71 so I sold the .284, you know bigger has always been better. The .358 didn't last long because I was 5'6" and a buck 35. The '71 was heavier and not as bad. Memories!

Instead I've put money into two pistols, a Dillon, and had two more barrels fitted.
The shop still has it. Also has a BLR in 284 Win.
Shouldering the BLR, it feels much better and more natural despite being at least 1lb heavier.

I linherated one that is in excellent condition. The only thing missing is the clip. Asking $1600.00. let me know if you are still interested ASAP.
Jack
Jack, I know this thread is a few months old now but I'm wondering if you still have that M88 in .284? I'm interested.