Value of used hart and shilen barrels

Ehgbyf

I have a stainless hart in 243 Ackley and a CM shilen in 30-338 that both have 250-300 rounds through them.

They were on Winchester model 70 guns that had the mauser type actions.

Are these barrels worth anything?

I have a stainless hart in 243 Ackley and a CM shilen in 30-338 that both have 250-300 rounds through them.

They were on Winchester model 70 guns that had the mauser type actions.

Are these barrels worth anything?
Kinda' depends on whether there's enough barrel shank to set back and re-thread and head space. Also, how long are these barrels? And, what contour? It should be pointed out that the labor to do that would be the same as starting with a new barrel.

One other thing to consider, is just to set back One thread using the same reamer/cartridge. This will save all of the usable barrel, refresh the chamber, and clean up the lead. the barrel ID will end up in the same location. Its a good way to save a good shooting barrel that hasn't had very many rounds through it.

On barrels that have been shot out or have some other problem, I use them for making tooling, chamber gauges, trim gauges and/or muzzle brakes.

Normally good used stainless barrels will sell for $75.00 and Chrome barrels for $35.00 if they can be used.

J E CUSTOM

One other thing to consider, is just to set back One thread using the same reamer/cartridge. This will save all of the usable barrel, refresh the chamber, and clean up the lead. the barrel ID will end up in the same location. Its a good way to save a good shooting barrel that hasn't had very many rounds through it.

On barrels that have been shot out or have some other problem, I use them for making tooling, chamber gauges, trim gauges and/or muzzle brakes.

Normally good used stainless barrels will sell for $75.00 and Chrome barrels for $35.00 if they can be used. OOPS! MRC doesn't use an extractor cut.

J E CUSTOM
They'd have to be timed and screwed onto a CRF Winchester. Then you'd have the depth of the extractor cut to mess with, also.

That's the going rate for factory take offs...

I'll buy all the Hart and Shilens you can find for $35-75...

Where I come from, no one will pay more than $35.00 or $40.00 for a factory take off barrel because of their quality and reputation. If it is new and never fired, you have a 50/50 chance of getting a good one and if it is a take off you have to ask yourself,why it was taken off in the first place.

If you know the history of an aftermarket barrel and the shot count the decision is how much you are willing to pay and how much risk you will be willing to take that it will turn out good.

If it belongs to a friend and you trust him, It will be worth more and the risk should be less, especially if it was a simple caliber change and the barrel had a good reputation for accuracy.

I personally wont buy one at any cost unless I know it's history because with the cost of all required gun smithing, it can be a costly
build if it turns out that the barrel is not very good.

Just me

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.