Value/Asking price for barreled action with extras?

308cal

I am just wondering what a fair asking price might be for a barreled action that I have.

It is an early Rem 700 LA in 30-06 Springfield (6 digit serial#), made in 1965 according to Remington, and it is in excellent condition.

Its had the bolt spiral fluted, handle replaced with a straight threaded PTG handle, a custom bolt knob. Bolt, handle, and knob have been cerakoted. All work was done by Longrifles Inc.

It also has a PTG speedlock, although I still have the original firing pin and locking mechanism as well.

No bottom metal, but does have the original old style rem trigger.

Just wondering what a good asking price for this would be.

So, it has not been blueprinted, correct? Just the bolt mods? And no BDL mag setup or stock...

I'd say $350, based on what I've bought several of mine for.

So, it has not been blueprinted, correct? Just the bolt mods? And no BDL mag setup or stock...

I'd say $350, based on what I've bought several of mine for.

I'd have to differ with you, it's worth way more than that. Look at what you have, a very early model 700 the quality and craftsmanship in those actions are second to none. An original old style trigger, then add all the mods to the bolt, you're looking at probably a couple hundred dollars in mods there. I think $350 is insulting the OP.

I'd have to differ with you, it's worth way more than that. Look at what you have, a very early model 700 the quality and craftsmanship in those actions are second to none. An original old style trigger, then add all the mods to the bolt, you're looking at probably a couple hundred dollars in mods there. I think $350 is insulting the OP.

Still needs blueprinting regardless of old-world craftsmanship, or not. While the metallurgical compounds of the older actions is most likely more pure and made of superior American metals (I'v been around the metal industry my whole life) compared to the modern actions that are probably made of cheap foreign steel (overseas steel is not held to the same strict tolerances we hold our metals to over here), the precision measuring and tooling of today is still better than it was back then.

I know exactly what he has. I built 6 custom rifles between 2013 and 2014. All, but 1 were on 700 actions. I know what they're worth. Being a vintage action, that action is only worth more money than any other 700 action, if the buyer is wanting to build a period-correct rifle. If they are not, then the action is no more, or no less valuable than a 700 action that was built last week.

The mods to the bolt are only worth something to the buyer, IF the buyer is wanting a tactical build, then the straight bolt handle with the big knob and fluted bolt body and aftermarket firing pin assembly are acceptable mods. But if the buyer is wanting to build a vintage style rifle based on the date code of the SN of the action and bolt (keeping it a numbers-matching and original), then the seller just ruined the value of it, because the matching serialized bolt and receiver are no longer in original condition. Also, he doesn't have the original BDL bottom metal mag assembly that will need to be purchased separately. Therefore, he'll have to buy a new one from Brownells or you might find one on eBay or somewhere else on the internet. I have bought a couple of the new ones from Brownells, they're about $150.

All of my 700's have reworked factory Remington/Walker triggers that I did myself. I also know what they're worth.

He can be insulted all he wants, so can you. But I know what they're worth in both conditions, and if he had left it untouched and in original condition, it would be worth more (in my opinion) than it is in its current form. You also have to look at all sides of the argument. I am not new to this game.

The older, pre-CNC manufactured actions aren't near as straight as the new CNC actions are. You can't compare the 700s that come out of Wally World and the other big box stores with actions that are purchased as just the action. I bought 4 a couple of months ago from one of the whole salers I deal with, 2 SA, 1 LA Mag and 1 LA UM. The fit and finsh is there. The only complaint I have with any of the 700s, new or old, is that Remington doesn't seem to know anything about extraction timing. Those rifles from Wally World and the other big box stores are on the 'low' end and appear to have been blasted and finished with road gravel. The majority of the 'old' actions are as crooked as a dogs hind leg,,,,, or as crooked as Hillary,,,,,,,,, take your pick......

The older, pre-CNC manufactured actions aren't near as straight as the new CNC actions are. You can't compare the 700s that come out of Wally World and the other big box stores with actions that are purchased as just the action. I bought 4 a couple of months ago from one of the whole salers I deal with, 2 SA, 1 LA Mag and 1 LA UM. The fit and finsh is there. The only complaint I have with any of the 700s, new or old, is that Remington doesn't seem to know anything about extraction timing. Those rifles from Wally World and the other big box stores are on the 'low' end and appear to have been blasted and finished with road gravel. The majority of the 'old' actions are as crooked as a dogs hind leg,,,,, or as crooked as Hillary,,,,,,,,, take your pick......

L:DL ... I admire your candor! :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.