Vais brake

They work very well as long as your not shooting prone. The radial style brakes will kick up a lot of dirt and dust and blow it all back on you. From the bench or for a carry rifle they work great.

I have one on a rem700 300wm, came with the rifle. Bought it used.
It really tames the recoil, first rifle I ever had with one and it makes the 300 a puppy dog to shoot. As mentioned by other posters it can throw up debris, part of that depends on how low you have it on bipod.
With the experience from this brake , when I had my 338rum built, gunsmith talked me into a tactical brake(holes only on the sides) helps with recoil and doesn't kick up a bunch of stuff when shooting prone.

Some breaks reduce recoil better than the Vais but it works great especially on hunting rifles
for all round shooting.

The large port breaks work a little better for recoil reduction,but I find that they still kick up
some dirt just not as much.

I have installed just about every GOOD break made and find that it is mostly a matter of
what looks good on a particular rifle and what you like.

The Vais is a good looking break when turned to the same diameter as the barrel and dealing
with Ron Bartlet At Vais is always a pleasure.

I have had good dealings with most of the guys that build breaks and they have also been good
to deal with, So pick the one you like but have a competent gunsmith install it for maximum
performance.

J E CUSTOM

I my self would not yous any brake with holes on the botton shooting off a bypod. You could chip your scope from small rocks flying up. If i chip a 1800 daller scope i would be sck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.