Vacuum packing my clothes

I've never used the Sea to Summit bags for hunting, however after reading the post I'm planning on using them. I use the Sea to Summit dry bags for kayaking. I've forgotten a paddle jacket in the storage area behind the seat on my Wilderness Systems kayak for weeks. Usually there is some water stuck in the storage compartment and the bagged jacket will sit in 1-2 inches of water sometimes, I never had one of these bags leak on me. Also have used the vacuum bags for blankets and heavy clothing in my camper, it makes for tighter packing, the vacuum has never leaked out over years, and I buy the inexpensive WalMart brands.

Really good compression bags do the same exact thing. I've been using them for years and outfitters love them for panniers. I can compress a complete set of clothing for a 5 day hunt in 2 large compression bags. They really do work well if you set them up properly with how you place the clothing in the bags. The ones I have are waterproof within reason and are pretty tough exterior.
Muddy

Been using them for years and recommend them when training guys. Keeps your clothes & such dry (especially when water can come from underneath instead of down) and clean (especially around sand that seems to get into everything), keeps creepy crawlers out, and keeps clothes fresh. In environments where I'll be sweating, I spray scent killer spray on my clothes and let them dry. Also put my undies/under shirt/socks in a gallon ziplock for each day. When others will be smelling rancid I will not be as foul. Plus it cuts down on bulk in your pack, which adds space if needed and helps keep things tight against your body.
Negative seems to be the noise they can bring when digging into them.

Rick,

This (vacuum compression) is NOT a "great idea for long term storage" for any item like down or synthetic puffy clothing. Compressing puffy clothing should be done only when absolutely necessary, as when packing it in or out on a hunt or backpack trip. Synthetic insulation in particular loses loft (and warmth) when compressed, even in normal use. That is why I prefer Climashield synthetic insulation because it has about the best loft retention of all the synthetic insulations. Primaloft is my least favorite.

Quality down sleeping bags always come with a big cloth storage bag so the sleeping bag is allowed to be stored UN-compressed.

Eric B.

Rick,

This (vacuum compression) is NOT a "great idea for long term storage" for any item like down or synthetic puffy clothing. Compressing puffy clothing should be done only when absolutely necessary, as when packing it in or out on a hunt or backpack trip. Synthetic insulation in particular loses loft (and warmth) when compressed, even in normal use. That is why I prefer Climashield synthetic insulation because it has about the best loft retention of all the synthetic insulations. Primaloft is my least favorite.

Quality down sleeping bags always come with a big cloth storage bag so the sleeping bag is allowed to be stored UN-compressed.

Eric B.
Meant for packing in on my hunt.

Good compression sacks work well. I would also recommend minimizing the extra clothing. Not only does it take up room but it adds weight fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.