UV clothes wash?

jmden

I hope this is an OK topic to post here...

I've got some snow camo that glows like a blinkin' beacon when you shine a blacklight (UV) on it. I've heard there's a soap that will reduce the 'glow'. Does it exist and if so, where do you get it?

Thank you!

You will need to always wash your hunting clothes separate from your regular clothes or else the brightner from them will bleed out and get into back into your hunting clothes.

I hope you are not sensitive and get mad when your are insulted because about 20-30 people will propably reply that you and I are idiots for using the stuff. At least that is what happened the last time I mentioned that I used it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't mind because what those people don't know is that I do even dumber things than that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I used UV killer when the issue of UV in hunting clothing was controversial. I am kind of surprised that a current manufacturer of camo and/or hunting cloths would use any material that wasn't UV free. An animal's ability to see UV is really well established at this point.

Naturally, when you wash your camo you should always use scent free, UV free soap to avoid adding anything negative to the camo.

By the way - I'm also one of those idiots who try everything. My hunting buddies laughed there a$$es off when I bought the first whitetail decoy manufactured. Well - the laughing stopped when I arrowed a slammer 9pt buck who was foolish enough to put his nose on the tail of the decoy as I let my 2213 fly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use it when I can get it.

I wash all my clothes in non-UV type detergent and have soaked some of my clothes in the UV Killer stuff.

My latest "Hunter Orange" pumpkin suit glows like a beacon even after a few soakings in UV Killer... I don't know what fabric they used but it's bright and persistent.

[ QUOTE ]
You will need to always wash your hunting clothes ....

[/ QUOTE ]

You wash your hunting clothes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Never heard of such a thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

One of the posters on the site you added said, "Uhmm, the UV wash is to Remove the UV brighteners on the clothes from regular detergent so the deer do not notice you."

Is that the consensus of what 'UV' wash does?

Thanks, guys, for the input and discussion.

No, UV wash is simply regular detergent without "brightners" added. Better wording would be "Non-UV Wash". You will need to use the extra rinse cycle to help get rid of the brightners already in the garment from the dye.

Almost all laundry detergent nowdays has "brightners" which are chemicals which stick in the fabric and reflect UV light. It is nearly impossible to go to the grocery store and find a box of detergent that does not list "brightners" as an ingredient.

You might remember the old Tide commercial "Whiter than Whiter". Guess what, humans basically see UV as more white. Guess what, the white hair of a whitetail deer's tail is a UV beacon. Consequently, a deer will pay seriuos attention to a UV object. It may not be spooked until something confirms that there is actually danger.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.