UTM protractor/plotter

Eselkopf1

So I was in the army and I'm a big fan of MGRS. But I am now a civilian and also a geology student. The rest of the world uses UTM, as do geologists.

I have familiarized myself with UTM In my geospacial applications class. MGRS is based off of UTM so they are very similar. I want to start actually using it while im out hiking fishing and hunting. With MGRS maps I had reached a point where I could eyeball 10 digit grids to within 10 meters. But with UTM I feel like I need to get out and walk a while and get back to basics for land navigation.

Can anyone recommend a good robust protractor. In the military we call them protractors. I have seen them online called plotters. I would like one with several map scales on it. Geoscientists use maps in just about every scale you can imagine.

Anyone have a favorite? Ive seen a few out there that looked promising but its hard to actually tell on pics.

I don't see anything in your post, but here is a link

I think the tool I got was the pic below, they have several. I'm at the office and don't remember off hand. Haven't hunted the lease I used it on since fall of 2018 and it looks like that will be my last hunt there. Bummer. But I am teaching my grandkids on maps and how to use the tools along with Lat & Lon.

Attachments

• UTMSlot24.png
    UTMSlot24.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 151
Found another on their site:

Attachments

• MILStyleUTM_MGRS.png
    MILStyleUTM_MGRS.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 143
Found another on their site:

Those were useful in the military but it does not look like there is a 1:24K scale on it, which is what most of the USGS Topo's you use hunting will be. The previous picture posted of a 1:24K scale would be the best for that - both would cover most everything.
Cheers,
Rex

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.