UTAH: Anyone's card getting hit yet?

JakeC

My buddy just asked me if I'd drawn and I checked my account in a panic to make sure there's enough for the sheep tag I'm sure to draw this year. With 3 points. Optimism is key, someone gets one with less than 4 every year.

I forgot how early the draw has happened the last couple years. He doesn't hunt anymore, he didn't hear about the withdrawals or anything, he was just curious. Now I am too. Good luck everybody.

BTW, in case you're tempted to repeat rumors (Utah's finest product), I'm not interested in hearing people say that we shouldn't hunt this year because of the bad winter. The southern 2/3 of the state had average or high survival. Most of the state will have a great summer. Only part of the state had especially high winterkill with only pockets of extreme loss, and I don't apply in those areas for a variety of reasons. If you weren't trying to change laws about destruction of winter habitat in 2022, or if you were still watering with secondary while the fawns couldn't find water on the benches, then I don't think you get to tell other people they shouldn't hunt in 2023.

I've heard people repeat the claim with a straight face that there was 70 percent loss across the entire state. Try 80 percent survival for adult deer, 90 for goats, and 94 for elk. 70 percent doe/90 percent fawn loss was in certain pockets of 3 units. If you have access to the catastrophic units, which are mostly poorly managed over-objective private, and you want to go above and beyond the 25 percent cut then that's a respectable choice. I spend a lot of time in one such unit, and if I hunted there I might feel the same. But don't tell me what I can do hundred of miles away.

Again, good luck everyone.

What the winter didn't kill...and the early extreme HOT May weather....
there will probably be more dead from drought......lol....

I heard a great podcast a couple days ago with a biologist from Utah discussing winterkill, tag allocations, etc.
Based on what I heard, Hunt away!

I don't always trust my own department of fish and game (WA) but I do tend to trust the opinions of biologists that study these animals year after year, as a full time job, and have the tools like collars, helicopters, and boots on the ground at their disposal to better assess population health. Much better than the majority of keyboard warriors on random forums and fb groups, anyway.

If the tags are available to buy or submit for a chance to buy, then 99% of the time everything will be just fine.

I heard a great podcast a couple days ago with a biologist from Utah discussing winterkill, tag allocations, etc.
Based on what I heard, Hunt away!

I don't always trust my own department of fish and game (WA) but I do tend to trust the opinions of biologists that study these animals year after year, as a full time job, and have the tools like collars, helicopters, and boots on the ground at their disposal to better assess population health. Much better than the majority of keyboard warriors on random forums and fb groups, anyway.

If the tags are available to buy or submit for a chance to buy, then 99% of the time everything will be just fine.
Well said. Utah is a Gigantic state. I mean, all western states are but the number of completely independent ecosystems and biomes is unreal here so the idea that horrific loss in two counties (that were overpopulated) gets to shame and dictate the ethics of hunters hundreds of miles away is absurd. While the state can be dysfunctional and crooked I know the DNR is trying to do the right thing and has the science to do so. What the state does to get more slices out of one pizza is another thing, but I feel okay about hunting.

Sadly though my stance didn't get me anywhere. Unsuccessful, unsuccessful, and unsuccessful. That's ok I really wanted to focus on general archery elk this year and I shot a fabulous buck last year. I still have plenty to learn before I go after a LE elk that could likely be once-in-a-lifetime with the 5 year wait and probable need to move away as my parents age in another state. With wht I've learned about how things are on the ground during LE I'm honestly dreading it a little bit. Even if I could afford it I'm never going to be the guy with 30 trail cams with a posse of of guys being my hunt butlers.

I'm a non-resident but travel to Utah a couple of times each month for work. I put in for most everything in the draw, but mostly struck out other than a Cache Valley Buck Deer tag. Received an email on Wed or Thursday this week with the results.

I'm a non-resident but travel to Utah a couple of times each month for work. I put in for most everything in the draw, but mostly struck out other than a Cache Valley Buck Deer tag. Received an email on Wed or Thursday this week with the results.
Nice, and good luck. Before this year's unimpressive changes my only complaint about the draw was that we residents can only collect one LE and one OIALifetime point at a time. I never understood the rationale behind that. Either let us collect points or reduce the wait period. Quotas are quotas and the draw isbthe draw, it's not like our points aren't creeping too. If it was about fairness and opportunity apply it to Nonres. If it's about money, let us pay 20 bucks more a year. But thank you for funding conservation in Utah, I think our nonresident fees are immoral. It's to the point of gatekeeping the average man from coming here to hunt and I don't like that.