USPS scope damage during shipping

blipelt

I sold an IOR scope about 4 months back and insured it for what the gentleman paid for it. It showed up with a severe dent in the bell. When it was claimed he said only partial damage(the sunshade wasn't damaged because I had to take it off to fit it in the box.) He was pro-rated $175.75. Now he has since filed appeal after appeal. He has the Money order from the USPS for the amount in full and proof of insurance and they still won't reimburst him for the full amount. They claim because he doesn't have an invoice they won't do it. One usps employee went as far to say he wouldn't have gotten anything from him because he didn't have enough evidence. I'm sorry but our these people that ignorant? Has anybody else had a similar problem and could advise what to do? I am contacting my State Attorney General and asking for guidance and told him to do the same. Anybody else know of a different direction to take besides kiss you $175 goodbye?

Brent

If I understand correctly, your customer accepted payment for partial damage to later find out the scope was in fact rendered useless? He has now had the scope repaired or replaced?

Why can't he produce an invoice? Seems like a very reasonable request, indeed to be completely expected.

They want an invoice or proof the scope is worth $950. The money order should do that. On a private sale I have never produced an invoice. To be frank why should I? I put $950 worth of insurance on it not $950-175.75. He produced the replacement cost of a new IOR which is far over what he paid for this one.

You have the money order made out to me
you have the reciept of my shipping and insurance
you have pictures and proof it was shipped adequately
You have a severely damaged usps box marked fragile.
I guess this isn't enough evidence

Brent

Last edited:
Go and have a sit down with the local postmaster. Take doughnuts and coffee. Don't leave untill the problem is solved. If you can make any lead way with the local go up the chain untill you do.

Amazing how things can get lost in the translation. Invoice=I think of an invoice as a reciept. I called the usps and asked them to bring me up to speed on the situation before I file with the attorney general. They to asked me for an invoice. I told them there isn't one. Mentioned the money order. they said it wouldn't work. I said I can go and print up and invoice sign and date it now mail it to him would this work they said yes. It makes me wonder why this wasn't mentioned to the guy who bought this scope 4 months ago.

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.