using rosin on scope rings

mister c

does anybody use rosin on inside of scope ring to keep them from slipping?................mister c

Thanks RSCOTT 5028, I got yhis idea froma video from NSSF on scope mounting that showed BROWNELLS gunsmith MIT schultz installing scope bases. He put rosen on the inside of rings to help scope from slipping.............mister c

A very good improvement in coefficient of friction gain be had with corn starch.
You can test this in your barrel vise.

I had a big ol S&B that was walking in the rings. I sprayed some 3M high strength flexible adhesive on a piece of plastic and then used a q tip to smear a light coat on the top ring only. Tightened things up and its never moved. That was about 10 - 11 years ago...

Put a dab of lapping compound between the ring/scope prior to snugging it up.

The abrasive will bite the ring/scope and prevent movement. It's like having a zillion little teeth chomp on the parts.

C.

Interesting concepts. I believe the 3M adhesive would be the least destructive to the scope tube.....

In that vein, 3M General Trim Adhesive (the black stuff referred to as 'Gorrila Snot') would probably work as well.

Never found a need using good quality rings and bases. But if I ran into an issue I would use Chads advice. We have done this before with mating surfaces that were subjected to extreme forces on race engines to stop movement between them. Especially where one or both surfaces are aluminum like aluminum main caps on an aluminum block in blown nitro engines.

Jeff

thanks for the replies. Clark are you saying that cornstarch would work on the rings also like rosin?..........mister c.

Mister C, a few years ago, I ordered some of the rosin powder from Brownells to try in my barrel vise blocks. It probably helped, but I never used it again. It fused together and to the blocks and barrel like concrete. It was a project just getting it off. The cornstarch is a surprise, but lapping compound somehow makes me uneasy. I understand how it works, but the 3M just sounds better, and wouldn't risk etching a scope body.

Informative thread.

Thanks, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.