Using powdered graphite on case necks

I have the ceramic balls dosed with graphite, works well, but I hate having black case necks on the outside of the necks...so now I dip a nylon brush that is cal specific in the graphite and brush the inside of the necks prior to sizing and prior to using the mandrel.
I get zero bullet weld doing this.
This helps with smooth and uniform neck tension and can lower ES/SD numbers on tuned loads if you test with/without graphite being present.
What he said ..............spot on.

You can use a Bonanza graphiter set for about $20.The set has 3 different size nylon brushes mounted vertically in a block they cover all calibers and the set comes with Mica powder that you put in the base block, then with the cover on shake it to put powder on the brushes then turn it the right way up and settle the powder back down in the base plate, remove the cover and away you go, just pass the case mouth over the right size brush and that's it.I do it after resizing and just before a powder charge, it works well.I'm guessing at the price,I'm in the UK and it's £23 but it comes from the US so you should be able to find it.

So you already resized your brass before using it and then set your neck tension with it on the case. David
I use the imperial, dip it in the neck lube before resizing that way the neck sizing collet slides easier in and out giving a more uniform expansion of the neck to the proper diameter. You don't need it to lube bullets being inserted by the press, you need it to pull the sizing plug back out of the case after the neck has been undersized by the die body and the plug is trying to make sure the I.D. of the case mouth is correct. It is kind of a 2nd sizing operation that goes on...1. resize the case, 2. resize the ID of the neck on the way out....using std. rcbs, hornady etc. type dies that is. Without some lube, getting the sizing plug back out can be difficult at best. The imperial dry lube is as good as I have used in 35yrs of reloading.

You can get powdered graphite in a small bottle with tiny ceramic applicator beads in it. Simply shake up tbe bottle/jar to mix the graphite/beads, unscrew the cap and insert the case neck into the jar. Swirl the brass around lightly, tap it on the jar and put your brass in the loading block.
I do this before using my mandrel to uniform necks and then load powder and bullets.
You can get the graphite from Midway or others. It's called Imperial Dry Neck Lube and it's a Redding product.
X-2

I have never used graphite inside the case neck. But I have used very fine powder graphite in oil less engraving tools for lubricant. Reardon Products of Morrison, IL. sells a small squirt bottle that poofs a very small cloud of very fine graphite. It would be perfect to lubricate case necks.

i have been using spray grafite .. spray in the cap and dip some q tips in it

i have been wiping inside necks while its still wet but letting evaporate before seating

You can use a Bonanza graphiter set for about $20.The set has 3 different size nylon brushes mounted vertically in a block they cover all calibers and the set comes with Mica powder that you put in the base block, then with the cover on shake it to put powder on the brushes then turn it the right way up and settle the powder back down in the base plate, remove the cover and away you go, just pass the case mouth over the right size brush and that's it.I do it after resizing and just before a powder charge, it works well.I'm guessing at the price,I'm in the UK and it's £23 but it comes from the US so you should be able to find it.
Yes,set the neck tension by seating the bullet

I used mica to lubricate the inside of case necks for sizing. Midway used to sell a blue box holding a tray for the mica and three inserts to screw in plastic bore brushes. I'd dip the cases into the mica tray and use the mounted brush. I'd lube the exterior with some imperial size wax and then resize. I stopped doing that since One Shot, but it was smoother to run through the dies and I had less case stretch.

For those of you that graphite's the necks of your cases walk me through the way you do it I want to try it but never have do you put it on after resized or before you resize wipe a little on or dip it. Thanks. David
I dipped mine when I used Redding graphite. I since switched to Lee case lube on a q tip in the neck and let dry. Very consistent bullet release in my tests with single digit ES/SD. I switched to try and eliminate bullet weld while sitting on shelf. Has worked for me so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.