Using parallax for range estimating

bikehe

Apologies if this has been talked about before, but do any of you use parallax to range estimate for hunting purposes. I would like to invest in a quality range finder one day but at the moment still putting money into my rifle. I have a NF 5.5-22x and was thinking about going down to the 1000 yard range and making a dial indicator on the parallax knob for a parallax free reticle at different yardages then use this while hunting. I guess the further out afield I mark the knob the finer the graduations might be but out to say 500 yards it might be worth a try.Appreciate any opinions on this.

i dont see this working as wouldnt mirage and different light situations play havoc on having a repeatable range.

Valid point but perhaps one could decrease the amount of zoom to minimize the effect of mirage. Worth looking into though, thanks

If you go to the range early in the day and adjust parallax you will find that, as the light and temperature changes over the next few hours, so does the parallax. When I was shooting bench rest I found that I, and other shooters, were making periodic adjustments to parallax over the course of the match. So I wouldn't expect using parallax for range estimation to be reliable enough to serve any useful purpose.
Nightforce scopes are commonly equiped with either MOAR, MLR or Mil-Dot reticles so ranging shouldn't be that difficult.

B, the parallax adjustment will differ between users eyesight and eye relief as well as Fear mentioned current atmospheric conditions. A good rangefinder would probably be needed sooner than later. Good luck

also, your eye will struggle to focus the out of focus image, so in effect your eye will lie to you after a few seconds as to what the image quality actually is. That is one of the reasons it is often mentioned to get in and out of the scope when adjusting back focus for a sharp recticle.

I agree with prior lists that calculating range with the parallax adjustment would give too much variation. I don't know what type of reticle you have, but several years ago I had used Mildots and MOA reticles to range out to 500-600 yards with good success.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.