Using optics to see vapor trail?

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Hello,

I'm not sure if this the correct forum for this question, but here goes.

I've heard about using binos or a spotting scope slightly out of focus in order to see the vapor trail of the bullet heading into the target. I would really like to do this, but don't know how.

Any insight would be great.

Thank you, Steve

Focus your optics a little bit closer than your target, then get straight behind the rifle. Some people can see the trail...some can't, or so I'm told. Practice with a 22, they're really easy to see.

with good rifle scope you can see a 22 go to the target.
last weekend we had an f class and i was able to watch every shot go into the target, when i was scoring. i dont know about out of focus. i focus my leica spoting scope in. you should be over the right sholder of the shooter. it is pretty easy to see through a good spotter.this also allows you to see how a bullet is affected by wind....

Above line of Sight.

To pracitce or to see it for the first time try having someone shoot something like a 30-30 at 300 yards. The bullet is going so slow and moving alot of air making it easy to see. Once you know what your looking at its pretty easy.

Willys

A good spotter is all you need. Get directly behind the shooter and you'll see. It takes a little practice to make it useful but once you can see it everytime it is a very valuable aspect of LR shooting. In my experience, the larger calibers are much more pronounced.

I just use a pair of 10x42 binos and the key is to be just over the right shoulder of the shooter. Focus on whatever you are shooting at and you cna see the trail.

Longer range helps in my opinion. So does background, I was shooting silhouette the other day with just small paths in the woods leading up to the animal. (these were just practice silhouette targets) With all the leaves and stuff, I could only see the bullet or trail a couple times.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.