using mil dots for elevation question??

rivetgun55

After using the ballistic calculator I now can figure out how many clicks I need to adjust my turret for different ranges. Now, at full magnification how can I fugure out at what distances my mil dots themselves are zeroed at? There may be times that I don"t have time to adjust my turret and would be best to just use one of the mil dots if I already know the yardage. Thanks

Use a ballistic program for drops, set to mil, and it will give the drop which will be themil hold over. For example I shot mil/mil with a reticle that is in 1/2 mil.200 zero on mine, 1 mil =350,2 mil=475, 2.5 mil =537. I use program then field verify.

After using the ballistic calculator I now can figure out how many clicks I need to adjust my turret for different ranges. Now, at full magnification how can I fugure out at what distances my mil dots themselves are zeroed at? There may be times that I don"t have time to adjust my turret and would be best to just use one of the mil dots if I already know the yardage. Thanks

If you download the Shooting App Strelok OR Strelok+ you can choose your scope Retical/Scope combination and if you type in the powers of your Scope it will show you what each Mildot amounts to or and it Lists just about every Retical Made Or if you have not got an Android phone just Tell me what scope you have and the minimum and maximum settings on your scope along with if it is second focal plain or First focal plain and I will do it for you because if your scope is Second focal Plain if you zoom up the power or Lower it all the Mildot Values Change and then your stuffed.

Hope this helps,

John

Hello Mate, I have sent you a Personal Message so if you can get back to me that will be good

John

I use the Hawke BRC2 system. if you google it you can load it very simple. On 10x with mil dots and a bullet with .5 BC you site in the first dot above the main reticle for 104 yds. the main horizontal will on at 300yds. 1st dot down will be 438 yds. 2nd dot 558 3rd dot down 663 4th dot 757 the top of the bottom post 841yds. you can put any velocity caliber bc weight bullet and what power you want. there are a zillion combos. to me this is the best system for elevation and all you need is a range finder and no spinning turrets. windage should be calculated and a card made up

I usually calculate my drops in 50-yd. intervals so interpolating the in-between ranges is a bit more intuitive, i.e. after calcing the ballistics program and verifying it, then write down the dope at each 50-yd. interval. It may look something like this--

350-1.8
400-2.6

so if a 375-yd. shot presents itself you can quickly figure 1/2 of .8=.4 + 1.8=2.2

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.