Using lake city brass?

Mancill

I am new to reloading so I have a rookie question. Federal makes some XM80C 7.62x51 that shoot fairly well out of my 308. A box of 20 is $17. I was wondering if I could use this brass for reloading. I figure I will have to lower my current powder charge due to the smaller inside demsions. For the price and plinking practice this brass is real cheap. So what say you.

M, XM80C is mfg in Anoka, Mn. The XM80CL in mfg in Lake City, Mo. I've always sought LC brass for .223.

I am new to reloading so I have a rookie question. Federal makes some XM80C 7.62x51 that shoot fairly well out of my 308. A box of 20 is $17. I was wondering if I could use this brass for reloading. I figure I will have to lower my current powder charge due to the smaller inside demsions. For the price and plinking practice this brass is real cheap. So what say you.

Don't assume smaller internal capacity. Measure it for yourself. You may be surprised at what you find. Internet gospel says military cases have lower case capacity. My own measurements say otherwise.

Not sure what kind of practice you intend. Yes, milspec ball ammo will go bang. Not sure it will give you any sort of quality practice if distance or precision is involved in your plans. If you intend to develop decent handloads, you are better off to buy 100 pieces of brass and load your own. For not much more than the ball ammo would cost, you can load 100 match quality rounds. The second time around will cost you much less.

What brass do you use currently that you think has more capacity than LC?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.