Using Factory Actions for Builds...?'s...

Earnhardt

Yes, I understand the upside to using Custom actions when building rifles.

But when using a Factory action, whether a Remington or Savage, what are the things to pay attention to?

Various sites sell "Trued 700 Actions".
Is there a big comparison between a factory 700 and a Trued Action?

I have a factory Sendero 300 RUM that I'm thinking about rebareling with a Bartlien Barrel

I have a 338 Edge built on a Trued 700 action that I bought used from a member on this site.
That gun is accurate as hell.

Just use the factory Sendero action, or buy a Trued 700 action?

Thanks

If you already have an action to use as a donor, you could have a smith true it- that'll be a lot cheaper than buying a new action that's been trued by someone else.

Most smiths true actions when they rebarrel the rifle...I assume so that way they'll be reasonably sure it'll shoot and won't have complaints

If it already shoots great, a truing job is not necessarily needed, especially if you ever wanted to make a remage system out of it. Don't buy a new action unless you want to leave your Sendero how it is, just use that action. Most people will have them trued when rebarreled, however if you don't want to spend the extra $100-250 (depending on smith) for a truing job, you don't have to, and the rifle should shoot at least AS GOOD as it did with you r factory Remington barrel. But if you have it trued (if done properly) you know if there is any issues it is not from the action.

Yep....what Canhunter35 said. My Smith won't do a custom build unless he can also true the action, lap the bolt lugs, Sako extractor, etc, etc....That way his work is difficult to blame if the rifle doesn't shoot right.

Personally, unless it was a competition rifle, I wouldn't true it unless it had accuracy issues in the prior configuration. But I also Savage/Remage all my non-competition rifles. The rifles shoot better than I do especially in the field so if truing gives an additional .1 MOA I'm not going to notice easily. I have yet to true an action, 1/3 MOA or thereabouts is typical.

I wouldn't waste my money and time on a trued 700. After you look at the cost of the action and Smith work to get it trued you still only have a rem 700 action. If going that route just get a custom action.

If you want a factory action you don't need to true use a savage, tikka or Sako action.

If you do decide to use the 700 go ahead and have it trued and then if the smith and barrel maker did thier job there is a garentee it will shoot. If you don't your taking a big risk and luck will decide it. No two 700 receivers will be the same when it comes to tolerances and squaresness. There is no garenteed measurable amount of improvement in MOA terms. Some may be closer to square then others but from what I have seen Remington's quality control is non existent unless maybe you buy a mil spec 5r model. That being said I have owned and done minor work to many friends 700s. Some shoot by just adding a bedding job and trigger and some don't. But I would say the chances are not in your favor, more luck. If you want an affordable rifle that will shoot with accuracy close to a custom gun from the factory with just a bedding job buy a savage or a tikka. Both come with great triggers and if you buy a $10 yo Dave spring the factory tikka trigger can get down to 12oz. The tikka a has the shortest bolt throw and will be the smoothest by far.

I agree with midnightmalloy..At the end of the day it's still just a Remington Action?
And couple that with the fact that Remington is going bankrupt..Quality will suffer!
Why do custom actions cost more than a complete Remington rifle? I think you know...
You get what you pay for!..Lone Peak makes a dandy!
And I still maintain if it was done right in the first place..It doesn't need reworked!
Have you ever heard of a Kelby action needing rework?

Last edited:
What is the lowest priced custom action you guys would use for a 300 RUM build?

For full custom action safely rated for the .300 RUM, expect ~$1000 and up.

http://www.bugholes.com/category-s/1822.htm

Keep a close eye on the AD section, sometimes members change their mind and go a different route. I have Big Horn Arms SR2 LA that was going for $1350 at the time and got it for $1000. Awesome deal for an awesome action.

ADDED:

Gunwerks GRB actions for $850 >>> https://www.gunwerks.com/store/gun-parts/gunwerks-grb-action

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.