using action screws to bed stock?

TBuckus

I've given up on finding some 1/4-32 screws that I can cut the head off to use as guides for bedding my stock.

I've seen one tutorial that used the original screws to bed, putting a good coat of wax on them, and screwing it down till snug. This was on a alum pillared stock. Mine is not.
Any drawback to this? I was thinking if I screwed them in just a few threads and didn't snug them down too much, it should work the same, just more difficult.

I've given up on finding some 1/4-32 screws that I can cut the head off to use as guides for bedding my stock.

I've seen one tutorial that used the original screws to bed, putting a good coat of wax on them, and screwing it down till snug. This was on a alum pillared stock. Mine is not.
Any drawback to this? I was thinking if I screwed them in just a few threads and didn't snug them down too much, it should work the same, just more difficult.

If you have to use the action screws I would recomend that you use them to get the action
in straight (Do not tighten)and then use tubing or spring clamps and as soon as the action is in place, remove the screws.

Be sure and wax them good to save the screws.

If anyone has ever bedded them in they know why I don't like to use them if it can be avoided.

J E CUSTOM

Don't feel too bad. I've never seen those either.

For making Winchester screws I have use 1/4" grade 8 bolts. I get them about 3 or 4"long and cut the threads off. Then you can thread them in a quality thread die. I then shape the heads of the bolt into a screw to suit my needs. You could do the same to make those screws Brownells sells.

I have only done one Rem700 pillar bed job, but here is how I did it.
I made pillars from 1/2" 6061 round stock.
I used a boring head to get a concave radius to match the 1.355" receiver diameter. I actually made the radius a little small, so the pre compression would open the pillar to 1.355" diameter.
I cut grooves on the sides of the pillar for the epoxy to grip better.

I put Devcon steel putty on the pillars and strapped the barreled receiver to the Bansner stock. I did the recoil lug bedding later.

Attachments

• Boring head cutting 1.355 in diamter radius in .5 in Aluminum round stock for Rem 700 pillar for.jpg
    Boring head cutting 1.355 in diamter radius in .5 in Aluminum round stock for Rem 700 pillar for.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Checking fit on 1.355 in diamter radius in .5 in Aluminum round stock for Rem 700 pillar for Ban.jpg
    Checking fit on 1.355 in diamter radius in .5 in Aluminum round stock for Rem 700 pillar for Ban.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 84
  • pillars pre compressed rem 700.jpg
    pillars pre compressed rem 700.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Goop on pre compressed pillar Rem 700 10-7-2012.jpg
    Goop on pre compressed pillar Rem 700 10-7-2012.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Rem 700 pillar installed with epoxy Devcon plastic steel 10-7-2012.jpg
    Rem 700 pillar installed with epoxy Devcon plastic steel 10-7-2012.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 69
  • pillars Rem700.jpg
    pillars Rem700.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 92
That's similar to what I did. I made my own pillars from aluminum round stock and just shaped them to my receiver. I just put the trigger guard and floor plate into their spots with the pillars in each spot, putting some glass on them and then around them, poured the glass around the rest of the areas it needed to go and set the gun in. I had a really good layer of coating on the gun and the action screws and never had a problem. As the glass squeezed out of the stock in some areas, I just wiped it away. Both guns turned out great and it was a lot of fun.

I always use the OEM bolts. I snug up the pillars with the bolts (properly waxed to avoid all adherence) and apply the devcon. Insert in stock and use some painters tape to snug it down in proper place.

After 4 hours I remove the bolts, and tap the action loose, leaving the pillars bedded in place. This way I am sure the action WILL come out.

Works every time, so far.

Larry
Tinkerer

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.