Using a 6.5x55 Mauser Lee Neck Collet Die for 6.5x284 Norma

OK, instead of just arm chair quarterbacking, I descended into the inner realm (my basement) and dug out my Lee collet sizer in 6.5x55 and some unfired Lapua brass in 6.5x55 and 6.5x284.

The shoulder of the 6.5x284 hits the collet too soon, at least with the die adjusted correctly per Lee instructions. But its not as bad as I had thought it would be.

I played with the shellholder to refresh my memory of how the thing works. The shell holder hits a cylinder that rises up in the die and forces the collet to size the neck around a mandrel. If the shoulder of the cartridge hits the collet too soon, you will crush the shoulder.

The 6.5x55 case was "free" in the shell holder, ie the shell holder contacted the cylinder/collet before the shoulder. The 6.5x55 protrudes about .103" out of the die, measured with my calipers.

The 6.5x284 protrudes about .133". That 30 thou causes the shoulder to hit on the collet. The shellholder does not contact the cylinder/collet soon enough.

One option that would get you .010 (enough???) would be to get a set of Redding Competition shellholders. These are machined long, in .002 increments, out to .010" long and are made to help bump just the shoulder. I've wanted to get a set for years, but I tend to bump my shoulder just by adjusting the dies. Anyhow, that would get you .010. I don't think it would be enough.

Or find a .030 thick shim or washer. A quick google search suggests they exist, but you might be best served to get the competition shell holder set and a shim too. ....

Mind you, I have not built my 6.5x284 just yet, but have a Proof carbon wrapped barrel waiting and as such I am interested in this project as well. Lee does not make a 6.5x284 collet sizer, as you doubtless know. If you find a shim and it works, please post back!

Edit:

Dunno if I can post a link to amazon, but I think this would do ya!

Last edited:
I did get a reply from Lee. They said the 6.5x55 die would crush the shoulder as cdherman indicated. I think Lee will make a custom die for around 70 dollars. I am currently using a Redding bushing die with very good results. I doubt adding the collet die will improve my accuracy since the gun is already more accurate than I am. I have a tendency to tinker and accumulate more equipment than needed. I appreciate everyones help. This is an amazingly helpful forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.