Using a 6.5x55 Mauser Lee Neck Collet Die for 6.5x284 Norma

300 Weatherby Mag

Hey Guys, I'm wondering if a Lee 6.5x55 Mauser neck collet sizing die can be used to size a Norma 6.5x284 case. The 6.5x55 Mauser case length is 2.165" the Norma 6.5x284 case length is 2.170". The adjustment for neck tension for these type dies is based off of the contact between the shell holder and the bottom of the die. I'm thinking I should be able to adjust the desired neck tension by adjusting the die. So does this sound reasonable or am I missing something.

Sounds good to go. I use my 25/06 collet die on my 257 Weatherby cases. Works great and if I use a .027 shim/washer works even better.

I have not purchased the die yet. I'm glad you brought that up as I was focused on the cartridge length. Good information that I had not considered.
I did submit the question to Lee but don't know if they will respond.

I don't believe you will have a problem with the base. The 257 Weatherby mag is much bigger than the 25/06 and fits. There is a lot of free space in the collets.

I believe it will work, lot of extra room around case base. Should be able to adjust for difference in case length. Lee is very little help with questions, they want you to submit a case and bullets and wait while they make a die and then charge about $80 out of pocket to get a $20 collet die. If the money difference and time doesn't matter you can order one.

The crimp fingers of the collet are part of a sleeve that is cartridge specific as to length and shape. The bottom of the collet is designed to contact the shellholder, so the cases have to be very close in length, as well as base diameter.

There is some small clearance.

Then the collet is also shaped to fit the shoulder and taper. So if the length is the same, and the neck is the same, it may not fit if the shoulder and case taper are not the same.

You could use a skinnier case in a bigger body collet if the length is the same, or very close to the same.

My .375H&H collet neck die does not fit .375 RUM, and they have the same neck and the same case length.

Well if you want to sell that neck sizer for the Swede after you crush your 6.5x284 case, let me know. Sorry to be an @ss, but the Swede has a neck length of .313 and the 6.5x284 is .268 (per my Hornady manual in front of me). Your collet die is going to hit the shoulder of the 6.5x284 before it hits the shell holder and then bad things will ensue.......

Hope I'm wrong. Suspect I'm right.....

And I think I already have a collet die for my Swede, but I'd need to check as I've not loaded for the old girl in a couple years. As for the collet dies from Lee, I have been positively impressed, though I tend to use bushings and a Sinclair mandrel expander more these days to try and achieve the same concept: minimal work hardening of the brass.

Well if you want to sell that neck sizer for the Swede after you crush your 6.5x284 case, let me know. Sorry to be an @ss, but the Swede has a neck length of .313 and the 6.5x284 is .268 (per my Hornady manual in front of me). Your collet die is going to hit the shoulder of the 6.5x284 before it hits the shell holder and then bad things will ensue.......

Hope I'm wrong. Suspect I'm right.....

And I think I already have a collet die for my Swede, but I'd need to check as I've not loaded for the old girl in a couple years. As for the collet dies from Lee, I have been positively impressed, though I tend to use bushings and a Sinclair mandrel expander more these days to try and achieve the same concept: minimal work hardening of the brass.
The advantage of the Lee seems to be good neck concentricity, does the Sinclair expander match that?

If so, I already have a K&M mandrel expander, is there any reason to change?

The advantage of the Lee seems to be good neck concentricity, does the Sinclair expander match that?
In my experience it didn't, the lee produced more concentric necks. The sinclair expanded but nothing supported the outside of the neck, the lee collet supports the outside of the neck while the expander mandrel does the inside. Just my experience....I owned and tried both.

I can recommend the sizing dies that use a bushing system to set neck tension. From what I've seen of the Redding, it is precise and consistent

For neck concentricity, do you not have to first turn the necks to get uniform wall thickness ?

I can recommend the sizing dies that use a bushing system to set neck tension. From what I've seen of the Redding, it is precise and consistent

For neck concentricity, do you not have to first turn the necks to get uniform wall thickness ?

For the ultimate in accuracy, sure, but along with a tight neck reamer. Quality brass with pretty uniform necks is close enough (per a lot of discussion over several sites and years). I use the Redding bushing to neck size and drop the shoulder back a couple thou. Then I use the mandrel to make sure the neck tension is consistent across all the brass. Easier than turning all my brass. The mandrel puts the variation in neck thickness, to the extent that there is some always, on the "outside" if that makes sense. Oh, and I try to avoid cleaning my brass too often, because powder residue is more consistent than squeaky clean brass, and I use graphite to lube the inside of the necks before the mandrel, so that I don't have to clean out any lube before loading.

Variation in neck thickness is the Achilles heel of bushing neck sizing. The variation gets pushed to the "inside" and thus, if the necks have a lot of variation, you will get variation in neck tension. I read a lot and I've come to agree that variation in neck tension plays a HUGE role in accuracy.

Or so is my opinion. I don't always get the accuracy I'd like either, though I'm decent. I think some of my limitations have to do with where I shoot and the guy pulling the trigger.......

To get back to the OP's question about the die working on a 6.5x284, I remember a post on another forum where the die was modified slightly by removing a little metal from the inside of collet in the shoulder area. The collet doesn't touch the cartridge body except at the neck so it would have no effect on sizing process. My 260 collet neck die has more than enough room to handle a 284 case at the base.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.