Using 7.62x39 as basis for wildcat

bntjones

I am a recoil sissy and cannot shoot well with anything that bucks more than a 270 or so. I also have 10 grandchildren who I want to teach to shoot and hunt whitetails here in the south. I am thinking of building a rifle of medium caliber using the 7.62x39 case. I have heard that the 6.5 Grendel can be formed from 7.62x39 but have not been able to confirm. Any suggestions ?

The 6.5 is a pretty mild round. It has pretty good ballistics and would be great for plinking.

Another round that comes to mind, although not based off of the x39, is the .260. It kicks about like a .243, plus it is a great deer round with a huge variety of bullets ( much like the Grendel).

CZ makes a great little carbine in 7.62x39. Been thinking of rebiulding one to 6.5 (yep the Grendle is a necked down and blown out 7.62x39) myself for a goat getter.
main334_png_637x200_q85.png

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at the CZ and also Ruger is chambering their little carbine in 7.62x39. I have used the original Ruger 77 Mk II in that caliber to take a few whitetail does but I was looking for something a bit flatter shooting but not as large as the 260, which in a carbine with full power loads gives a fairly "smart" whack to the shoulder. Probably just daydreaming but it keeps the mind active.

Hornady is making 6.5 Grendel Brass, so you won't have to form from the 7.62x39. If your going with the 6.5 Grendel I would recommend just getting an AR. Model 1 Sales is making them now at reasonable prices. The AR produces very light recoil and if you get a carbine stock it can be adjusted for the young ones. I have yet to aquire a 6.5 Grendel but I have shot them and taken quite a few coyotes, hogs, and a few deer with it. If you decide to get the CZ carbine, just stay with the 7.62x39. Its light recoil, cheap rounds, and will kill deer at 200 yards all day long.

Good Hunting

bought a 40 s&w upper for an ar15 its a piece of junk!! now I am going to chamber it to a 762x39 blown out to .400 or 10 mm any one ever done this or heard of it looks to be close to a 41 Remington mag. pistol only a little longer

bought a 40 s&w upper for an ar15 its a piece of junk!! now I am going to chamber it to a 762x39 blown out to .400 or 10 mm any one ever done this or heard of it looks to be close to a 41 Remington mag. pistol only a little longer

I've heard rumors of a 10mm socom based off the 458 socom in the wind.

rest of my parts will be in this week let you know what happens tie it on lead sled pull the string look around the celler and see if its still there

put my ar togeather to day 762x39 x 40cal drilled the gas port I barrel three times to get it to cycle now I 3/32ths works good with h110 powder does not like any thing else I have on hand looks to be a hog killing gun when I get it tweaked out

put my ar togeather to day 762x39 x 40cal drilled the gas port I barrel three times to get it to cycle now I 3/32ths works good with h110 powder does not like any thing else I have on hand looks to be a hog killing gun when I get it tweaked out

Wait, so this is a completely new wildcat? It's a 7.62x39 case, but necked-up with a .40 cal (10mm) pistol bullet in it? So it's like a 10x39mm... This could be interesting.

If you want good velocities, try Alliant 300-MP. I use it for my .300BLK and magnum revolvers. I switched to it because H110 was so hard to find for so long, and I could find 300-MP in 8lb. jugs. It's slightly slower than H110, so you can get more velocity at max pressures, or equal velocities with lower pressures, compared to H110.

Do some research on it, I think it might work for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.