Usefull stuff to make when you have the time

None, but I can weigh it, though the scale that I have ranges to 400 lbs or something so it probably won't be too exact of a measurement. In a way I'm cheating because it is for a Howa 1500 Mini action, so it started out pretty petite.

None, but I can weigh it, though the scale that I have ranges to 400 lbs or something so it probably won't be too exact of a measurement. In a way I'm cheating because it is for a Howa 1500 Mini action, so it started out pretty petite.
yea, thats why I asked as you had stated you were on the howa mini before

mine started life as the "platinum" model, it did have a cheek swell that I rasp filed off too as I didn't care for it-- boyds lists them as 45 ounces, so I dropped 17 ounces off of the original weight (but my weight includes the bedding and pillars too so I probably had it dropped by around 18-19 ounces before adding weight back in)

I was surprised how much wood you have to get rid of to start making a difference in weight--If I really tried, I bet I could get it to 1.5 pounds but the extra 4 ounces I would need to drop could start compromising integrity or rigidity

I ran into that as well, diminishing returns hit pretty early in the exercise. I too cut off the cheek swell. That was a fair amount of work to make it look good afterwards. As supplied the stock had some low spots up against the edges of the swell that I had to sand down to. I'm LH'd and I do not own a LH bolt action so the cheek swell added weight and did me no good.

I know that I reported some weight measurements some time ago. I've no idea what thread they are in. Hoping the grand daughter allows me some garage time tonight, but 3 y.o.'s can have their own agenda.....

OK, pulled it apart and the stock ready to use is 2.1 lbs. and the whole rifle scoped, slung, and ready to hunt with (except an MT mag, wasn't going to load it in my garage), weighs 6.9 lbs. So not an ultralight, but all together its under $750 so not an ultralight price either. Or rather the price is pretty "light" & not in the normal range of a custom built ultralight. I found a page called "titainium fasteners dot com:" or similar and the stocked M6X1.0 Ti Torx Button Heads in the two lengths that I needed, so I saved an ounce, maybe two there. Easily the highest price per pound parts involved, but why not? LOL

Hollowed forearm; the AL block connects both flush swivels in the sides of the forearm with the traditional stud for bipod use, can also see the AL pillar and the divot in the bedding that I still need to fix:
i-WzQPF8h-L.jpg

The hollwed butt; the glued-in plug fixes where the pad screw wanted to break out and is only ~.50" long:
i-sN37pVh-L.jpg

How deep the hollowing goes:
i-2gPpJtB-L.jpg

Proof, such as it is. This is really at the very bottom end of the scale's range, that it was a tenth or two off wouldn't surprise me.
i-MkZzBqB-L.jpg

When we built our house, the kitchen floor is hickory of several different widths. So decided to cut a piece down for a loading block. DANG is this stuff hard as heck! Even my cutoff saw didn't like it. The planks came with 7 coats of poly so it never has to be resurfaced. It still looks as good as the day it was put down 16 years ago.View attachment 189376
We have hickory through out our house besides the tile and we love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts