use this scope on my striker?

chancer4720

270 wsm with muzzle brake. I have a new Nikon Monarch 4-16 which has a 5 inch eye relief up to about 8 or 9 power. I'm considering mounting it on my striker but unsure because it has a center grip stock. Any suggestions? It currently has a 2-6 Simmons handgun scope on it and I don't really like it.

Many of us use rifle scopes on our Strikers, with great success.

Just pick your power, get a good picture, and push away a little with the center on target. You should be fine, especially with a brake.

Larry
Tinkerer

I was also looking at the Burris 3-12 EER instead of the rifle scope. I will be using the pistol for mostly hunting. I see it is no longer made but still available. Anyone know why it was discontinued? Also what are the pros and cons of rifle vs pistol scope in a hunting scenario?

Last edited:
Thanks Ernie. Funny, being hungry for info, I already found the article. As long as I already have the 4-16, I'll give it a try before I spend money on the Burris. My main issue is with the low light gathering pistol scopes. Hunting big whitetails around here means sitting to the last minute. This isn't an issue with the Nikon on my black powder rifle. Shooting time is not something I am willing to sacrifice for a pistol scope.

If that is the SS 516 factory WSM, i'd be real careful shooting a rifle scope on that one. The WSM's have a lot of recoil for a lightweight specialty pistol, and it'll come back some. Had a rancher friend of mine that had one in 7 WSM that wouldn't shoot, I had a 270 WSM barrel laying around and we tried everything to get that rig to shoot with both barrels. Finally he traded me the rig for another SS and i had a McGowen-barrelled 260 Rem. chambered up in it and he has been killing everything with it including long-range prairie dogs using a 2-7x Burris. That is now the rancher's favorite gun. We shelled 2 Burris's on the WSM, the recoil was so bad.

If it doesn't work for you i'd consider rebarrelling to a WSSM. If you're into reloading the 6.5 WSSM "wildcat" will deliver a bit more than a 260 Rem. and you shouldn't have to change the bolt head.

I'm new to all this so this is just another addition to the ball of wax. Nothing is ever simple is it?. All I wanted was to buy a striker, scope it and have fun hunting with it. I didn't realize there are so many decisions to make. I wouldn't know where to start on having a new barrel put on it. I appreciate all the input, but, one person says no problem and the next says don't use a rifle scope. Then, if I buy a Burris 3-12, what if the gun don't shoot well? I live in western NY. I wish I had a mentor nearby.

Well, I just order the Burris 3-12. I see a lot of people shooting them so I guess I'll give it a try. I can always put the Nikon on my 22-250 788. That's what I bought it for in the first place. Hope I made the right decision.

why wouldnt a muzzleloader scope work well on the striker,I know the nikon omegas seemed to have alot of eye relief but ive never heard of anyone using them on sp.

Most muzzleloader scopes have the parallax set to 50 yards. One reason they designate them as "muzzleloader" scopes. Most that I'm familar with also don't have AO's either.

I'd say you made the right choice on the Burris 3x-12x until you are ready for a rifle scope. Even then, you may decide to leave the pistol scope on it.

Regards,
Rog

I'd deffinatly take Ernie up on his offer and give him a call. The advice you get from him will be spot on!
My bull barreled 30-06 without a brake will knock you out if your elbow is bent but the Holland brake on his 7WSM reduces recoil beyond belief!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts