Use OnX on an iPhone or use a Garmin GPS? Here is my experience, I hope it is helpful.

Birdhunter1

Last time I went to Wyoming Antelope hunting was in 2014, I had a Garmin Etrex 20 and was using the Hunt WY sd card. Back then I don't think the OnX app existed and if it did it wasn't very widely recommended for use.

We were hunting area 30 this year and area 29 for Antelope. Going through the process of updating my sd card and buying a new Garmin GPS MAP 78 (since my Etrex bit the dust) I also added the app onto my iPhone XR. In talking with the guys at OnX he said he uses his phone only and if out for a few days trek he will take his gps along as a backup.

So when researching here and elsewhere I had never found a good answer on which one is most preferred. I had my Garmin and the card and my phone and had played around with each at home in deep Southern Illinois. The OnX guy said download all the maps I need and throw it on airplane mode. I signed up and paid for the elite membership which got me all 50 states on my phone with the understanding that after the first month I will cancel that and go with just the IL version of the map at a cheaper rate (since I won't be hunting outside of IL the rest of the year).

Garmin GPS MAP 78 pros and cons: For starters the GPS works and works anywhere unless you are in a metal covered building. It takes AA batteries that are easy to change out, it picks up satellite signals quick, it has a good screen easy to see in sunlight or in the dark. You can mark, track, measure distance, direction, see elevation…. The downsides to the gps: I had it on topo version (maybe it is only topo version), the unit itself is not touchscreen and you have to work 'features' to get it to do what you want however that isn't cumbersome with gloves on, its waterproof (to an extent) and with gloves on in the rain that is not a big deal, the screen is small (compared to my phone). In all the GPS worked exactly as it should. I will add to carry extra AA batteries or whatever fits the unit.

My phone is an iPhone XR: I'll mention the downsides first. I found in rain it wasn't great as you don't want it getting wet and it doesn't pick up your fingers well when wet, also in the cold with gloves on it won't pickup your fingers at all. The battery life can get sucked down quick so if you're not around a vehicle often you'll need a portable power pack charger (which I had but didn't have to use). If on a good wifi or data signal it works well, if it is not on a good one it doesn't work well… but if you have the maps downloaded and throw your phone onto airplane mode it works great. The few times we ventured out of where I didn't have maps downloaded my phone pretty much became a paperweight to take pictures and tell time.

The pluses to a phone: If you're like most people you are use to your phone, it is your clock and your camera and using the map on it isn't difficult. Being touchscreen it made it very quick and handy to take measurements, zoom in, zoom out, move around on the map and the screen is big. Another thing I found rather interesting is in the bottom of the screen it would tell you the weather. When looking up the property info it seemed like the phone would provide you more info than the GPS version would, though both versions provide more than enough detailed info.

My 11 year old son tagged along to see what he will be getting into next year. He was mainly holding my gps and doing stuff on it. He found it very easy to work with and was very apt and telling us where the property lines were, where the next public ground was, bends in the road, elevation changes, draw, dips and valleys (yeah my 11 year old can read and interpret topo maps). One day we switched devices and he was using my phone, at the end of the day he said he liked the gps better.

For me I liked my phone better, the gps didn't do anything my phone wouldn't do. That being said I'm not selling my gps and wouldn't go back without both. For me I'll either be in and out of a truck or my son will be along and we can each carry a device. For what its worth we have another iPhone we have as a house phone for the kids that I could also put the app on. I think each device has is place and like the OnX guy told me he uses his phone and only takes the GPS as a backup. I can see myself doing that.

I hope this blurb helps someone decide what they need for a phone or a gps. I don't know how well it works on Android phones. If I could only go back with one I'd probably take my GPS, I carry AA batteries anyway that will fit a small mini mag light I carry and my gps, throwing in a few extra for my gps isn't a big deal.

Great post. I use the phone for scouting around the pick up. When I hunt I use Garmin because I don't want to be side tracked with text, calls or emails.

I don't like being side tracked either, but where we were texts, phone calls and emails would not have come through.

When you get good with phone,I never have need for gps unless its my inreach,for emergency.The phone map layers are FAR superior to topo only mode of the gps,s.And there are more features built in to ONX,thats why all the guides etc use. Use in arplane mode never ran my battery down.You do need to download your maps,thats homework.

Last time I went to Wyoming Antelope hunting was in 2014, I had a Garmin Etrex 20 and was using the Hunt WY sd card. Back then I don't think the OnX app existed and if it did it wasn't very widely recommended for use.

We were hunting area 30 this year and area 29 for Antelope. Going through the process of updating my sd card and buying a new Garmin GPS MAP 78 (since my Etrex bit the dust) I also added the app onto my iPhone XR. In talking with the guys at OnX he said he uses his phone only and if out for a few days trek he will take his gps along as a backup.

So when researching here and elsewhere I had never found a good answer on which one is most preferred. I had my Garmin and the card and my phone and had played around with each at home in deep Southern Illinois. The OnX guy said download all the maps I need and throw it on airplane mode. I signed up and paid for the elite membership which got me all 50 states on my phone with the understanding that after the first month I will cancel that and go with just the IL version of the map at a cheaper rate (since I won't be hunting outside of IL the rest of the year).

Garmin GPS MAP 78 pros and cons: For starters the GPS works and works anywhere unless you are in a metal covered building. It takes AA batteries that are easy to change out, it picks up satellite signals quick, it has a good screen easy to see in sunlight or in the dark. You can mark, track, measure distance, direction, see elevation…. The downsides to the gps: I had it on topo version (maybe it is only topo version), the unit itself is not touchscreen and you have to work 'features' to get it to do what you want however that isn't cumbersome with gloves on, its waterproof (to an extent) and with gloves on in the rain that is not a big deal, the screen is small (compared to my phone). In all the GPS worked exactly as it should. I will add to carry extra AA batteries or whatever fits the unit.

My phone is an iPhone XR: I'll mention the downsides first. I found in rain it wasn't great as you don't want it getting wet and it doesn't pick up your fingers well when wet, also in the cold with gloves on it won't pickup your fingers at all. The battery life can get sucked down quick so if you're not around a vehicle often you'll need a portable power pack charger (which I had but didn't have to use). If on a good wifi or data signal it works well, if it is not on a good one it doesn't work well… but if you have the maps downloaded and throw your phone onto airplane mode it works great. The few times we ventured out of where I didn't have maps downloaded my phone pretty much became a paperweight to take pictures and tell time.

The pluses to a phone: If you're like most people you are use to your phone, it is your clock and your camera and using the map on it isn't difficult. Being touchscreen it made it very quick and handy to take measurements, zoom in, zoom out, move around on the map and the screen is big. Another thing I found rather interesting is in the bottom of the screen it would tell you the weather. When looking up the property info it seemed like the phone would provide you more info than the GPS version would, though both versions provide more than enough detailed info.

My 11 year old son tagged along to see what he will be getting into next year. He was mainly holding my gps and doing stuff on it. He found it very easy to work with and was very apt and telling us where the property lines were, where the next public ground was, bends in the road, elevation changes, draw, dips and valleys (yeah my 11 year old can read and interpret topo maps). One day we switched devices and he was using my phone, at the end of the day he said he liked the gps better.

For me I liked my phone better, the gps didn't do anything my phone wouldn't do. That being said I'm not selling my gps and wouldn't go back without both. For me I'll either be in and out of a truck or my son will be along and we can each carry a device. For what its worth we have another iPhone we have as a house phone for the kids that I could also put the app on. I think each device has is place and like the OnX guy told me he uses his phone and only takes the GPS as a backup. I can see myself doing that.

I hope this blurb helps someone decide what they need for a phone or a gps. I don't know how well it works on Android phones. If I could only go back with one I'd probably take my GPS, I carry AA batteries anyway that will fit a small mini mag light I carry and my gps, throwing in a few extra for my gps isn't a big deal.

Awesome. I've never owned a GPS unit but have handled them and used them for a few minutes. I've used my phone and mapping apps a LOT: caltopo, Gaia, and onx. I primarily use onX for hunting just because of the waypoint icons. I will never convert to a standalone GPS, unless someone makes one that is touchscreen with a large screen and great resolution, two way messaging and emergency SAR contact, incredible battery life, and yearly subscription cost that is not much more than my current cost.

Where in southern Illinois are you? I grew up in Centralia, then lived in Murhphysboro for awhile before moving to Utah. I miss that place. Diamond in the rough, for sure.

Awesome. I've never owned a GPS unit but have handled them and used them for a few minutes. I've used my phone and mapping apps a LOT: caltopo, Gaia, and onx. I primarily use onX for hunting just because of the waypoint icons. I will never convert to a standalone GPS, unless someone makes one that is touchscreen with a large screen and great resolution, two way messaging and emergency SAR contact, incredible battery life, and yearly subscription cost that is not much more than my current cost.

Where in southern Illinois are you? I grew up in Centralia, then lived in Murhphysboro for awhile before moving to Utah. I miss that place. Diamond in the rough, for sure.
Interesting enough I've been to Centralia twice and I live outside of Murphysboro and have been here my whole life, except for a brief 5 year stint that I lived in Murphysboro.

Interesting enough I've been to Centralia twice and I live outside of Murphysboro and have been here my whole life, except for a brief 5 year stint that I lived in Murphysboro.

Awesome. I miss is there. That's a fantastic area.

Great post. You covered the pros and cons quite nicely. My 66 year old father went through heck with his phone this year in Colorado. Even taking his phone in and out of airplane mode, he couldn't keep the thing charged all day. I gave him a battery pack that he could not figure out how to use. They were camping and had no generator. We just bought him a GPS to take next year. Having the option of carrying AA batteries is a huge plus. Hopefully he can learn to use it in the next 9 months. 👍🏼

I've used both smart phones and Garmins extensively for both work and hunting. I've found a smart phone with OnX maps downloaded to be much easier and far more useful. I will always carry my phone on hunts to use GPS and OnX. In certain situations I will also carry a Garmin as a back up or for the two way radio capability and polling/sending location. Battery life can be an issue with phones, using power save mode or airplane mode are essential. Sometimes carrying a charging pack is also a nice backup. I bought a pretty inexpensive battery charger by Anker that works great.

I was using OnX yesterday and am wondering if there is a way to use it in your truck for turn by turn directions to get to a certain waypoint. I did send the coordinates to google maps for this usage but wondered if OnX maps did this as well?

I was using OnX yesterday and am wondering if there is a way to use it in your truck for turn by turn directions to get to a certain waypoint. I did send the coordinates to google maps for this usage but wondered if OnX maps did this as well?
I don't think so, I tried just now and can't figure a way to do such a thing.

My son has Onx and I have a GPS both work great until you hunt where there is no service for the phone. You have to make sure to download the maps ahead of time.

Years ago I bought a Garmin GPS map 60 something. It was a great unit and I was really happy with it. Battery life was good with it and it was very portable. I bought the computer software that allowed me to download areas in greater detail and I could also upload all my waypoints on my computer when I got home.

I then bought the Garmin Montana which is touch screen and gives you the ability to download satellite mapping. It also accepts the OnX map cards as well. Again it's a great unit and even more user friendly. It also has a camera built in. The downside is it burns through batteries quite a bit faster than the older unit did.

I tried the OnX app on the iPhone and I like it just fine. Certainly takes time to download all the maps of your units that you're going to be hunting in, especially if you're going with the high resolution maps. Since I always carry my phone with me I found myself using it more than my GPS.

I bought an inReach last year for my trip to CO Elk hunting. That was great to have so I could keep in touch with the wife. She had an issue at home and I was able to have her contact the the right service company to come out and fix the problem. The wife was able to see where I was at since it sends updates on a regular basis.
It also allowed me to communicate with others in our hunting party and let them know we had an elk down and needed help packing it out.
The added emergency SOS feature is nice as well. My uncle's friend hunted CO every year. They always backpacked in and were remote. One of the guys started having chest pains and they were able to get him air lifted off the mountain. He had a mild heart attack and wouldn't have been able to hike the several miles out to the trail head.

I now mainly use the OnX app and the inReach but I also keep the GPS in the truck with plenty of extra batteries. I also carry a battery pack that will charge my phone twice before it needs charging. I added two small portable goal zero solar panels that charge portable devices quickly when there is good sunlight.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.