Use of a LabRadar with a Area 419 Hellfire Muzzle Brake

Montana73

I just installed an Area 419 Hellfire Self Timing Muzzle Brake on my new 7mm STW. This brake ports to the side and has a slight backward vent to the brake as it is advertised. Due to quarantine, I haven't been able to shoot it yet. I'm not sure at what angle backwards the gas escapes....45 degrees or more.

I'm interested in where to place my LabRadar with this muzzle brake which is a side port and has rearward gas. Do I put it further back near the bipod to reduce effect or put it at least at the muzzle to be slightly in front of the brake blast. The LabRadar instructions say to put behind slightly of a brake but assume that is for a radial that doesn't have a potential rear gas blast.

One person mentioned they were going to put the LabRadar on a quad pod or something that puts the radar on top of the barrel to eliminate the gas escape. Anybody have any experience to share?

I was looking at a Zeadio Video Action Stabilization Handle Grip with a hot shoe adapter on top to mount the LabRadar on top of the barrel as an option. Not sure I'll be able to shoot under though but for $15 thought I'd order it. Might be able to cobble something together at make it high enough to shoot thru the Handle Grip.

Any experience with this specific brake or similar and a LabRadar would be appreciated.

I place the very end of the muzzle about 6-10" behind the unit as close to mid level as reasonably possible and 6-10" away from it. Never misses a shot. Try to make sure it stays aimed in the targets direction. That is with a 375 w/6 port muzzle brake.
D2A53051-53B5-4830-B387-69787C9C00E4.jpeg

Research different triggers the one that comes with the lab radar is a microphone or acoustic trigger I've recently learned about one on this forum that straps to your rifle and uses inertia to trigger the radar and then you could set it wherever you wanted

I just installed an Area 419 Hellfire Self Timing Muzzle Brake on my new 7mm STW. This brake ports to the side and has a slight backward vent to the brake as it is advertised. Due to quarantine, I haven't been able to shoot it yet. I'm not sure at what angle backwards the gas escapes....45 degrees or more.

I'm interested in where to place my LabRadar with this muzzle brake which is a side port and has rearward gas. Do I put it further back near the bipod to reduce effect or put it at least at the muzzle to be slightly in front of the brake blast. The LabRadar instructions say to put behind slightly of a brake but assume that is for a radial that doesn't have a potential rear gas blast.

One person mentioned they were going to put the LabRadar on a quad pod or something that puts the radar on top of the barrel to eliminate the gas escape. Anybody have any experience to share?

I was looking at a Zeadio Video Action Stabilization Handle Grip with a hot shoe adapter on top to mount the LabRadar on top of the barrel as an option. Not sure I'll be able to shoot under though but for $15 thought I'd order it. Might be able to cobble something together at make it high enough to shoot thru the Handle Grip.

Any experience with this specific brake or similar and a LabRadar would be appreciated.

I have a LabRadar currently on a table tripod but have not used it yet. Below is a video from LabRadar ...

I am currently working on a quadpod type rig (that accomplishes the same what's on the video below) band will share it when done. "IF" it works out the material is under $20.

Last edited:
I have my LabRadar on a tripod with brakes I put it in front of the muzzle the way ADO does and without a brake I put it behind the muzzle. No problems with triggering. I would suggest reading the directions carefully and setting up the programming the way that works for you. I shoot alone on my ranch so I can set the sensitivity up because there no danger of picking up other peoples shots.

I really like the idea of the quad pod. Gives a stable platform and puts the radar on the barrel line and when the offset is correctly programmed, should be a winner on most shooting platforms and will work prone bipod shooting as well. Should eliminate the issues I've dealt with.

Thanks everyone for your comments...helps me out with my issues as the LRH community always has a solution to consider.

You can put the LR back by you alongside the fore end or the action even. It isn't goi g to throw off the ready much if any. That will keep it out of harms way and be easier for you to reach.

I was told to stack 2 cement blocks up next to the rifle. Would not be that fun to lug them around to go to a range. But if you had a Home spot to do your zeroing in Chrono work

Just bring the unit back near you, out of the blast zone. It will still trigger from the sound wave.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.