us this the right devcon?

No, it isn't. What you are looking at is Epoxy "putty" - the Devcon Plastic Steel used by most shooters I know is a two part semi-liquid like this:

Devcon Plastic Steel Bedding Compound

I suspect that, depending on its consistency, putty might work but IMO it would not get into the nooks and crannies like a good bedding compound should.

Addendum:

From the comments from others it appears I'm hanging out with the wrong group of shooters. If the putty works as well as reported and it eliminates the need to build "dams" to contain the stuff mixed from the tubes while it cures then I'm all for it.
Still, I wonder how it finds its way into the cracks and crevices (as around the recoil lug) to ensure a full contact bed.

Last edited:
No, it isn't. What you are looking at is Epoxy "putty" - the Devcon Plastic Steel used by most shooters I know is a two part semi-liquid like this:

I suspect that, depending on its consistency, putty might work but IMO it would not get into the nooks and crannies like a good bedding compound should.

The Devcon Putty is actually what you want. There's a great article on it here: Stress-Free Pillar Bedding

I've used it to bed 3 rifles now and it works great.

Lol....you guys are saying conflicting things... does anyone else have clarification?

Apparently after some more digging most people including bench rests use devcon 10110 which is specifically the putty kind. The liquid kind is 10210.

Apparently after some more digging most people including bench rests use devcon 10110 which is specifically the putty kind. The liquid kind is 10210.

I know we were saying conflicting things but I pointed out why you want the Putty based off an article that is considered to be a pretty good source for bedding techniques. Know this though, the liquid stuff definitely works but after using the Putty it's the only bedding compound I'll ever use in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.