US Resident Hunting in Canada

acourvil

I usually do an out of state hunting trip every year, although I missed last year due to COVID and haven't made plans for this year yet. I've been thinking about doing a trip to Canada, and I am wondering about a few things.

Is there any restriction on bringing wild game meat back into the US from Canada? I've never been interested in hunts unless I can also put something into the freezer.

What arrangements need to be made to take guns/ammunition across the border? I understand that handguns are generally not permitted, but I usually bring a couple of rifles and enough ammunition for the hunt and also enough to work out problems if anything goes wrong (e.g., 50+ rounds for each rifle.

Are there any special difficulties in obtaining tags/licenses for non-residents? I most likely would arrange for a guided hunt; is Canada like the US where guides often have access to landowner tags or other guaranteed tags?

Is there anything else I should be thinking of related to going to Canada for a hunt? It probably would not happen until the COVID situation has stabilized; I know that has created a lot of hurdles (I will be vaccinated before I go).

I would appreciate any insight from anyone who has traveled from the US into Canada for a big game hunt.

I've hunted Canada 2 times but , it's been a few years since I've hunted Canada . I should be going this year , if it works out . looks like a snag at the border , due to covid . there was no restrictions on bringing meat back . my outfitter gave me a paper on my meat , I showed it at the border . there is a fee and a form you fill out to get your rifle into Canada . I have no idea on handguns , I didn't deal with that .my understanding is, you must use a guide to hunt Canada . my license has been provided by the outfitters I used .

edit to add ;
you need correct headstamp brass .

Right now Canada is locked down due to covid. They are requiring a 14 day quarantine after entering the country for residents. Thats at the residents cost. I've heard $3K tossed about. Now that is subject to change but you can't plan on it this year.
Bruce

Most years, coming to Canada to hunt and take meat back is very simple. Leave the handguns at home, you can't hunt with them or carry one anyhow.

Only issue right now is Covid travel rules and those change too often to tell you what it will be this fall. In Alberta, you can use a hunter host, usually a friend etc as they can NOT be paid for guiding you, and buy over the counter tags like Bear, Bull Elk, Whitetail Buck, Wolf and Coyote. No draw needed. Bull Moose is on draw for everyone unless you use an Outfitter. It can take 5 or 6 years to get drawn and you need a resident to go into the draw with you. Most guys use an outfitter/guide service and in most provinces the guides have the tags you will need, no draw required.

I would get Covid vaccinations behind you since sure bet it will be requirement for international travel. With all the new variants, I would be more concerned being allowed back into country. I would wait a year to see how both CA and US is going to handle entry both ways. Its a floating crap game right now.