US Optics or Premier Reticles

Actually I know of what I speak. I don't go around spouting misinformation, in fact that is pet peeve of mine. And yes they DO. You said it yourself they have purchase their glass for Schott, a German Company that produces the finest glass one can buy. Yes Schott has manufacturing facilities in the US but it doesn't change the quality of the glass. And glass is not just glass. Like most thinks the manufacturing process has a lot to do with it. Thus not all glass is created equal. The quality of the glass has a lot to do with clarity. However the coatings have everything to to do with light transmission and contrast.

As I have said I give first hand experience. When I bought my Premier I did a side-by side comparison with a Hensoldt. The difference between the two was splitting hairs. Over the years I have either owned or been behind every nearly every major and minor manufactures scopes. And European made scopes used to have the edge of ALL mass produced us scope. However this is no longer the case. I have used numerous scopes in recent years in both low light and night scenarios. And while European built scopes are excellent they are no longer the only ones in the ball game.

Again--read what you have written---Glass from the US Facility is not from Europe correct? Yes or no…

Also USO has a slightly wider FOV because they do not mask their glass on the edge.

I as well not have but do actually own the brands and models mentioned above and have spent many an hour sitting in the dark in the observation tower we built (has heat and AC) looking through the aforementioned side by side.

Quite a bit of what you have stated is true but the statement about "German" glass and how it relates to Schott and what is used in the USO product is not. Why not just acknowledge the oversight and go on?

Also, The statement about "glass" was relative to Schott only because the spec is the same from the US and from other the other manufacturing facilities.

Last edited:
If you're concerned about glass quality, especially in low light, you will likely be happier with the Premier. The glass in my Premier looked just a hair better than my S&B. The few USO's I've compared it to have been OK, but noticeably a step down in image quality.

I have on order the new and improved PR 5-25x56 on order. I have heard time and time again how magnificant these scopes are matched side by side with other top manufacturer's such as Zeiss, S&B and USO taking Zeiss quality glass putting it in a USO durable metal and oversized knobs which I love. Top quality glass and a great warranty. I researched the optical realm for many a day before making my final decision between this list:

Premier
Zeiss
USO
S&B
Valdada
Vortex

When purchasing a scope the most important things to consider when purchasing are these:

1: Use - Do you need a $3000 scope for your application? I say this because the PR tactical is just that. A tactical scope that if it fales in the field can greatly effect a mission.

2: Warranty - I place this at number two because I think it is very important when purchasing an expensive scope. The best warranty I have ever seen on a scope "one you might consider" is the Vortex Razor 5-20x50. It has a unconditional lifetime warranty. It has the best warranty I have ever heard of or seen on a scope. No matter how you break it you send it in and they fix it or replace it.

3: Durability - One hunting trip I had a leupold that came out of the holster it was in when I was riding horseback after some javelina down south. Long story short the rest of the hunting trip I was using a 30/30 the hole time.

4: Glass - I don't need to explain this.

Some better than other's I suppose. It's you as the buyer that has to determine what you are looking for. If you are wanting a scope with an unconditional lifetime warranty where no matter what happens you can send it back than the Vortex Razor can't be beat by any of the scopes that cost in around $1000 more etc.

Take your time and get what fits your needs/wants.
Good luck on your choice!
Cheers,
RiP

I thought I would throw in my late vote. As far as all those listed I think that they are all excellent quality but I would pick US Optics over them all. Excellent glass and built like a TANK. Oh yeah and I can have it built my way, knobs, reticle, tube, color.

Hell, I hope I haven't started some sort of a mini war here by the sounds of things going on in all your replies and counter replies.
There are some varied comments and great advice which I greatly appreciate.
Thanks for all your comments.
I have ordered the Premier scope which I hopefully should see in about 4 to 6 weeks.
Just in time for the SnipeTac338 which should be finished in around the same time.
Will keep you posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.