US forest issues kill order for feral cows in New Mexico

Well, it's gonna happen. That beef could feed quite a few hungry people. If you're using a helo to kill them, you could use that helo to carry the carcas where it could be butchered and feed the hungry.
They would say we don't have the funding for that . But their using state taxpayer money to pay the assassin's and for helicopter use and fuel. Seen it before on lions in Ca. and wolves, coyotes and grizzlies here.

There is a huge difference in manpower, equipment, and time to physically move 150 animals weighing 800 to 2000 pounds from a wilderness area versus simply shooting them from a helicopter. You would have to plan where animals could be shot to be accessible within short time period to prevent spoilage and be safe working environment for people on the ground. A few crews working it would likely take weeks to get that many animals out. Shooting and leaving animals lie is less concern for shot placement (meat loss and animals running) and locale becomes unimportant. A good gun crew with military thermal imaging for location and weapons targeting could probably get the job completed over a weekend. If you really wanted it done fast they could task a local air national guard unit to fly Blackhawks in using the chaingun and be over in a few hours.

There is a huge difference in manpower, equipment, and time to physically move 150 animals weighing 800 to 2000 pounds from a wilderness area versus simply shooting them from a helicopter. You would have to plan where animals could be shot to be accessible within short time period to prevent spoilage and be safe working environment for people on the ground. A few crews working it would likely take weeks to get that many animals out. Shooting and leaving animals lie is less concern for shot placement (meat loss and animals running) and locale becomes unimportant. A good gun crew with military thermal imaging for location and weapons targeting could probably get the job completed over a weekend. If you really wanted it done fast they could task a local air national guard unit to fly Blackhawks in using the chaingun and be over in a few hours.
Why don't they just send a UH-1 with a M134 and get it over with. Or a couple of F-15's for some live fire training......might muddy the creek for a bit though.....or just leave the cows alone. They really aren't hurting anything.

Last edited:
s a huge difference in manpower, equipment, and time to physically move 150 animals weighing 800 to 2000 pounds from a wilderness area versus simply shooting them from a helicopter. You would have to plan where animals could be shot to be accessible within short time period to prevent spoilage and be safe working environment for people on the ground. A few crews working it would likely take weeks to get that many animals out. Shooting and leaving animals lie is less concern for shot placement (meat loss and animals running) and locale becomes unimportant. A good gun crew with military thermal imaging for location and weapons targeting could probably get the job completed over a weekend. If you really wanted it done fast they could task a local air national guard unit to fly Blackhawks in using the chaingun and be over in a few hou
The topic is not how to kill the cattle or best weapons. It's based on the shooting and leaving to rot. I'm sure if they let hunters have free access to them, groups of hunters could pack out a butchered cow. Let wranglers round them out and they are theirs. No tags, license, nothing. Feral animals. Not indigenous game animals. I'm sure the herd would get thinned. Most likely reservation cattle. They just want to blow taxpayer money and have fun at it. Reminds me of Ca.. Making you buy pig tags . A feral animal. Coyote tags next ? Have bobcat tags now. Have to have pig tags for private property also . The ranches wouldn't make any money off the pig hunts if they were shot out and fish and game would lose precious revenue . In Texas no tags and they have no problem shooting hogs from helicopters. But if they were shot out no more ching ching $.
This thread went south. I'm about done with it.

Wouldn't this change bears eating habits to target cattle if the acquired a taste for it? Seems it could be problematic to bear health as ranchers would start hammering them.
Not really. Bears are predominantly scavengers, feeding off of carcases. In addition to prickly pears, acorns, etc. But not likely to drive them to kill live cattle. However, some bears have been known to take down live cattle, it is generally the exception.

Sorry but I haven't followed this much if at all so I am pretty uneducated as to what's going on here.

So here's my ignorant question....are these cattle not in anyway associated with some brand and or outfit?

If they've been feral for years, that's some good meat with no growth hormones added just like Elk and Venison.
If they've been feral for years, that's some good meat with no growth hormones added just like Elk and Venison.
No hormones, antibiotics, red dye, fat, cholesterol, styrofoam or Saran wrap. 😉
I would guess they could of been cattle from near by Indian reservation or somebody had a grazing lease and never found them all when rounded up. ???

No hormones, antibiotics, red dye, fat, cholesterol, styrofoam or Saran wrap. 😉
I would guess they could of been cattle from near by Indian reservation or somebody had a grazing lease and never found them all when rounded up. ???
They lose a few in the Big Horns every year. They usually find them in the spring when they move the herds back up. Sometimes dead or with a calf if they are very hardy. These have been there for generations, I bet they are mean SOBs.