URSA Shoots for January ‘18 - 2000 yards and counting

ELR Researcher

URSA Shoots for January '18 - 2000 yards and counting

The Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA) will have shoots on Sunday, January 21st in NorCal (Clear Lake/Upper Lake area) and in SoCal (Barstow area).

We start shooting at 2000 yards and those that shoot well enough (at least two) then shoot at min 2500 yards – moving out from there in roughly 500 yard increments, always based on shooter achievement at the prior distance. All locally-legal firearms (rifles and rifle/pistols) are welcome. There are NO fees, we shoot on public land.

The NorCal contact is Lynn ([email protected]). Lynn is our Regional Director (RD) for CA/NV. Detailed info for NorCal is usually posted on CalGuns at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=327 .

More info about URSA and how shoots are conducted is at
http://www.unlimitedrange.org/operations.html Especially note FAQ 13, which describes course of fire.

Initial info re SoCal is provided below.

4WD, or AWD with decent ground clearance, is strongly recommended as the sand can get very rutted and deep.

We will have a target set up at 2080 and, quite possibly, at 2630 (at least a stand will be set up at 2630). Shooting at 2630, and beyond, is NOT guaranteed – that's determined by how well shooters do at each distance.

December (our last SoCal event) was atypically very cold and windy, January will likely be cold (but not as cold) with little or no wind during most of the time while we shoot. Too early for a more precise wind forecast. We'll see.

Those that sign up (cut-off is 6 PM, Wednesday the 17th) will get event-specific info a few days before the actual event date, tentatively the evening of the 17th. If I do not hear from you by the cutoff, you will not receive the event-specific info, which includes directions and final timing. Also, if I don't hear from you, I will assume you are not planning on shooting, the headcount requirement may not be met, and the event may be cancelled – which is what happened three (3) months in a row in mid-'17. Please contact me at [email protected] with any questions. Thanks.

NOTE: URSA is now using the online program, Zoho Forms, to capture Liability Release and Build Sheet sign up data, and spectator/other Liability Release sing up data. Please use the appropriate link at the top of the Activity/Event Schedule page to sign up for this and future events (http://www.unlimitedrange.org/activity event schedule.html). If you have any problem with the online form, please e-mail me ASAP. BTW, the form asks for limited "address" (only city, state, and ZIP). We do NOT need your street address.

We had "ideal" conditions.

5 Shooters.
26 Hits on a 37" round target at 2080 yards
Averaged hit percentage across the board I think in the +%20 range.
Percentage to make "for record round" had to be %30+.
2 Shooters made it to the "for record round".

A 6.5 Creedmoor qualified for "for record round"!
The "for record round" was well contested with both shooters having multiple hits.

DNA "sex" does not matter in URSA shooting. Proof, one of the shooters has "X" chromosome DNA "sex", the other had "Y".

That was my "politically correct" way of saying, one of the "for record round" qualifiers was female, one was male. The female wielded the bone stock Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor which at the time of the match had well over 2000 rounds through it.

More later.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.