Urban Cowboy Tactical 45-70

Perkules

Just wanted to share my latest project:

Working on it. Got it zeroed for 405 grainers @ 1050 fps, sounds like a .22 short or so. Full house 2000 fps loads sound like a .22 Hornet with most of the recoil and flash gone away.

Takes less than a minute to change back to a normal scope and no suppressor setup. All legal here in Finland but you can´t use the nightsight for normal hunting though,I keep repeating this!

Cleaning up wounded and/or traffic injured animals just got remarkably easier,I do it a lot. The vision is very good up to 100 meters in total darkness with the IR on , 3 X WA magnification and a red dot. We have dark here for about 15 hours a day now.

Withnightsight.jpg

Closersightview.jpg

Frontview.jpg

Tough to get pics through the sight,I´ll try again with a tripod. In the last pic you see the small IR-radiator on the left side of the scope.

Modern Classic? Or just nuts?
grin.gif

Petander, very cool rig. Is there any caliber restrictions in Finland, what about range restrictions? Some areas/countries are getting crazy about range limitations.
It is always good to hear from folks in different countries, with different ways of doing the same job.

Thanks,
John

Hiya! Thanks for the kind replies.
smile.gif

We have certain minimum energy rules for big game. No range limits -luckily, these energy limits make some sense in smaller calibers but they can be misleading too.

Also,our big game license and shooting test system is quite controlled. It is a good thing IMO.

But:

A 44 mag does not kill a Finnish deer, neiher does that 1050 fps .458 405 grainer above. A 308 kills a moose ,a 243 is minimum for deer. Stuff like that.

Most hunters around here are not extreme ballistic nuts like me.
rolleyes.gif

Okay,time to go for the morning deer shift. Short range,dark so I´ll take the Marlin now. I´ll swap to the "normal" Shirstone scope so I see less (to obey the law)and to the full load so I make more noise... man,these full cast loads can take anything on this planet. Laws are fun!
grin.gif

Hello Petander,
That is a nice set up that you have here.
Would you share with us the recipes of your subsonic loads?
How fare have you shot it while keeping at least 2MOA of accuracy?
Don't you have problems with lead deposit in your barrel? (a gunsmith not fare from where I live, built a similare set up for a customer, except that he suggested using paper patch bullets to avoid that problem).

Enjoy yourself while the "Eurocrates" are not bothering you yet.

ND

D-mon, shooting lead without leading your bbl is not difficult. I shoot a 458 win mag with cast most of the time. at about 2350 fps for a 465 saeco hardcast bullet gas checked. i usually get 1.5-2.5" at 100 yards.If you do get leading, use a little COPPER chore boy on a worn out bronze brush to get it out, very quick with very little clean up.I usually shoot lead in most all my firearms except the 300 rum.

John

Petander, I'm a bit jealous as well. Nice rig! Question on the sight: Why the IR vs. Gen. 3 Nightvision? More utility on overcast nights?
confused.gif

Leading is no problem with these velocities, neither with the elephant loads when size and lube are correct.

I use 13 grains (!!!!) of VV 3N37 for 1050 fps for the 405 grainer. No gas checks. Doesn´t seem to be position sensitive powder.

Take a look in here for sub loads:

Oregon Trail

Max,

this is the only nightsight I´ve got my hands on. How do the gen 3 sights work? The extra IR sender thing is only needed in VERY dark. In daylight this works like a red dot .

Have not hunted with Gen 3, but view is remarkable. Still, it does require some ambient light, so maybe you're onto something better for hunting/shooting in the civilian world. I've no meaningful experience with your system at all, but its day/night flexibility sounds good.
Your IR source is visable to others with the same viewing capability though.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Your IR source is visable to others with the same viewing capability though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes,it can be switched on/off in an instant with the left thumb but it would be a problem in a "fight for your life" scenario in total darkness. It looks like a glowing cigarette in the dark so it can actually be seen without any special equipment.

Anyway,fun stuff for observing nature and extending the daylight time. We have less than five hours of daylight now, I use the nightsight alone quite a lot when walking around -not with the rifle lol. Looks like most animals don´t pay attention to the IR when in use although they do see it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts