UPS not honoring insurance on a firearm shipment

STK-300

My gunsmith, a ffl dealer, told me today that he shipped a custom rifle to another ffl dealer via UPS and that he insured it for $3k. When he dropped rifle off at UPS, he presented the UPS clerk with a copy of his ffl and the ffl of the recipient. UPS accepted the shipment without issue. When package arrived at recipient ffl. The UPS driver advised the recipient ffl that the package was damaged. The recipient and my gunsmith submitted a claim. Now, despite having knowledge of the ffl licenses on both ends and despite the purchase of shipping insurance, UPS does not want to pay on the claim because UPS claims my gunsmith did not have a shipping agreement. This makes no sense.

Unfortunately you have to read through UPS terms and conditions. It's basically a contract that you agree to. It sounds like UPS is enforcing their fine print on the customer so that they don't have to pay out on a claim.

Trying to get UPS, FedEx, or USPS to pay claims is like pulling teeth. They will do what ever possible to get out of it. I often think it would be a great place for a class action suit.
Exactly, you are spot on. I'm a home based FFL but I know brick and mortar guys that don't bother with buying insurance since they know it will not pay out. They just accept that eventually they will have to eat the cost of one lost or damaged.

Last edited:
You have to sign a seperate contract with them if you want to ship firearms. It doesn't matter if you make them package it or give them documentation that it's going to and from an FFL, as far as UPS is concerned you've violated their policies if you ship a firearm or firearm parts without a signed agreement in place before hand.

Most UPS stores are franchises staffed by people who don't know UPS's policies. I'd take anything you hear there with a grain of salt.

My gunsmith, a ffl dealer, told me today that he shipped a custom rifle to another ffl dealer via UPS and that he insured it for $3k. When he dropped rifle off at UPS, he presented the UPS clerk with a copy of his ffl and the ffl of the recipient. UPS accepted the shipment without issue. When package arrived at recipient ffl. The UPS driver advised the recipient ffl that the package was damaged. The recipient and my gunsmith submitted a claim. Now, despite having knowledge of the ffl licenses on both ends and despite the purchase of shipping insurance, UPS does not want to pay on the claim because UPS claims my gunsmith did not have a shipping agreement. This makes no sense.
Well last year UPS for reasons unknown changed their policy on shipping firearms and even anything related to firearms. The WOKE got to the decision makers, higher management of UPS.
We have an FFL and shipped all our firearms through UPS before the end of 2022.
We would just take a firearm to the local UPS store and no problems shipping.
UPS changed their policy and then all of a sudden, the UPS Stores would not take a package with a firearm or firearm parts.

We then had to get new UPS accounts for shipping. THREE ACCOUNTS
One Business account to ship anything except Firearms
One FFL account to ship Firearms
One FFL account to ship firearm parts.

Had to submit all paperwork for FFL and Business Licenses.
The worst thing is that we make a shipping label and print out at our facility, then have to schedule a "Pickup" from UPS.
Now we get charged for the shipping package x $$$, then charged extra for a pick up at our facility X$$$ and then got a notification on our account for a third charge X$$$ for a "Fuel Charge" to pick up at our facility.
Now UPS drives by our place several times a day so there is no extra drive to our facility and extra fuel.
I called UPS up about our Business & FFL account. Kept getting put on hold and switched to different departments.
Maybe We are just the unlucky ones, but it really sucks to ship with UPS now since they went WOKE.
We won't ship FedX, NEVER.
Still like UPS because you know you package will get there but at a very high cost and can't trust USPS with anything.
It is easier to ship a firearm with USPS, but God forbid you have to put a claim in with USPS when it gets lost and it will get lost.
Hate to say it but there are workers in USPS that know what is in packages and then have those packages sent to the "Undelivered" warehouse storage. Where does all those packages go????
I talked to a person that works for USPS and the stories he has told me. There should be Congressional Investigations, but how could the Government investigate another Government department??????????

BOTTOM LINE IS THE WOKE DO NOT WANT US TO HAVE FIREARMS!!!!!

Trying to get UPS, FedEx, or USPS to pay claims is like pulling teeth. They will do what ever possible to get out of it. I often think it would be a great place for a class action suit.
I've been through four months of pure hell trying to get the United States post office to pay for a $750 claim I had when selling a G7 BR 2500 rangefinder! I only got paid due to help from my local postmaster.

Well last year UPS for reasons unknown changed their policy on shipping firearms and even anything related to firearms. The WOKE got to the decision makers, higher management of UPS.
We have an FFL and shipped all our firearms through UPS before the end of 2022.
We would just take a firearm to the local UPS store and no problems shipping.
UPS changed their policy and then all of a sudden, the UPS Stores would not take a package with a firearm or firearm parts.

We then had to get new UPS accounts for shipping. THREE ACCOUNTS
One Business account to ship anything except Firearms
One FFL account to ship Firearms
One FFL account to ship firearm parts.

Had to submit all paperwork for FFL and Business Licenses.
The worst thing is that we make a shipping label and print out at our facility, then have to schedule a "Pickup" from UPS.
Now we get charged for the shipping package x $$$, then charged extra for a pick up at our facility X$$$ and then got a notification on our account for a third charge X$$$ for a "Fuel Charge" to pick up at our facility.
Now UPS drives by our place several times a day so there is no extra drive to our facility and extra fuel.
I called UPS up about our Business & FFL account. Kept getting put on hold and switched to different departments.
Maybe We are just the unlucky ones, but it really sucks to ship with UPS now since they went WOKE.
We won't ship FedX, NEVER.
Still like UPS because you know you package will get there but at a very high cost and can't trust USPS with anything.
It is easier to ship a firearm with USPS, but God forbid you have to put a claim in with USPS when it gets lost and it will get lost.
Hate to say it but there are workers in USPS that know what is in packages and then have those packages sent to the "Undelivered" warehouse storage. Where does all those packages go????
I talked to a person that works for USPS and the stories he has told me. There should be Congressional Investigations, but how could the Government investigate another Government department??????????

BOTTOM LINE IS THE WOKE DO NOT WANT US TO HAVE FIREARMS!!!!!
You are right. But during the pandemic I had several woke individuals asking me to recommend firearms for them and to teach them how to use a firearm. Hypocrits.