Upgrading wifes scope

My Winchester M70 FWT 30-06 has a Leupold VariXIII 2.5x8 with mildot reticle on it. Chuck Mawhinney wrote about that scope in an article back in the late 90's or early 2000's. I've shot out to 800 yards with that set up. I don't see any problem shooting out to 1k with that rifle.
its not a 308,,,stay in context,,,

Ok... you stated FACTS earlier while dropping nonsense. I politely corrected you since you were apparently open to a correction despite such strong opinions. I'll take a 6lb rifle that shoots and drop MOA group all day at a 1000. Really not that hard dude. The OP wanted a scope so his wife could stretch it out hunting and fling a few at steel or a dog at extended ranges and your panties are in a wad because the Army and USMC say it's effective range is 800 meters. No one here is saying a factory kimber is bees knees, can she do it. You bet. Goodluck dude.
well pick a time and place, we will use btterbean as a witness.
how about the 1000 yard range in phoenix....ben avery
you will have to watch the schedule and come over on a practice day.
its where i zero my rifles, they practice at 600 and 1000.
i may actually know what i am talking about.
6 lb hunting rifle with a hunting scope as pointed out here.
and you claim one moa, is that 5 or 10 shots in a group

Did it enough for uncle Sam, thanks for the invite keyboard warrior. I know what my skillset is and I know what I'm doing as well. Congrats on graduating a DM school. Do yourself a favor and take advice from this forum it's a great place to learn. I do all the time. Have fun humping heavy rifles since that's the key to accuracy.... @codyadams wasn't kidding when he said there are some great minds on this site, just gotta sift through to find their posts. Last you'll hear from me you got it figured out...

Did it enough for uncle Sam, thanks for the invite keyboard warrior. I know what my skillset is and I know what I'm doing as well. Congrats on graduating a DM school. Do yourself a favor and take advice from this forum it's a great place to learn. I do all the time. Have fun humping heavy rifles since that's the key to accuracy.... @codyadams wasn't kidding when he said there are some great minds on this site, just gotta sift through to find their posts. Last you'll hear from me you got it figured out...
one keyboard shooter down...i'll come to nm??? they have a range south of abqu

sorry but with a 308 you are wishing. yes it can HIT at 1000 but not repeatable in the typical hunters hands.
(mil calls the 308 in a custom sniper rifle an 800 yard gun)
realistically a 30 mm 4.5-10x lue/nightforce
maybe a variable to 16 or 20
navy seals on ther AI 300 win mags with 1200 yd accuracy used a 5.5-22x
my big suggestion is a bigger tube with a name brand scope
So let me get this straight, You were the first to suggest a bigger tube( Op never asked if he needed a bigger tube) Out of context and how may SEAL's do you know?
The 308 was designed to give 30-06 performance in a short action so it is in context as they are for the most part they are ballistic twins
one keyboard shooter down...i'll come to nm??? they have a range south of abqu
Come to Indiana, No flagged shooting range here, you set the gong wherever you want it ( 1000 yards or further, you pick it), No rangefinders, no ballistic apps, no Kestrels, No spotters and no wind flags, you do your own ranging and call your own wind and lets see who's on target first. I'll be using a straight 10X SWFA scope so when its over you can tell everyone here to be rest assured that a10X is quite adequate. Indianapolis is the nearest airport, I can pick you up there

Lee Brockmeier
6780 West Whitesell Ave
West Terre Haute IN 47885
812-264-6183

gentlemen, i understand you have an issue with FACTS so i thought i would post some of what has been said and maybe you can see just how far out of context they have been.

a) she has a Kimber 308 84M With a Burris 3 x 9 ballistic Plex about 6 lbs

b) win pps 308 Weighing in at 8.5lbs

c) m24 marine custom sniper rifle almost 12 lbs.
Effective firing range
  • 800 metres (875 yd)
i know its hard, but try staying in context.
she has a light weight hunting rifle.
the 8,5-25 lue is is about a lb and a half big bump on a 6 lb rifle
the 4.5 to 14 30mm is only a pound i think that is where he should be looking
You can quote the marines all you want effective range is for putting someone down. Not for hitting steel or paper. Op can indeed hunt out to what he feels confident to and then to build confidence take his wife to try steel at 1k
Second that rifle with scope and ammo it 8-8.5.

well pick a time and place, we will use btterbean as a witness.
how about the 1000 yard range in phoenix....ben avery
you will have to watch the schedule and come over on a practice day.
its where i zero my rifles, they practice at 600 and 1000.
i may actually know what i am talking about.
6 lb hunting rifle with a hunting scope as pointed out here.
and you claim one moa, is that 5 or 10 shots in a group
I am not anywhere near as good as most guys on here especially Cody when it comes to long range but my full carbon and titanium 6.5 is more than likely lighter than this kimber she shoots scoped and well it is much harder to shoot at 1k but it did get done.
Scope is a 2.5-16 bushnell elite 6500.
Do t think they make them anymore but they still had them for sale a while back on optics planets for under 1k

I load for my 30-06. I can easily replicate 308 win ammo lol. The OP's point was he needed an upgrade scope. His objective was to get a better scope that was repeatable, most likely capable of repeatable dialing out to 1k, and under $1000. That's the context. Not 1 moa at 1k. Not even a 1k scope. A hunting scope upgrade for hunting with the 308 win and some fun plinking at 1k. Maybe the occasional yote at that distance.

Last edited:
I'm looking to upgrade my wife's scope, she has a Kimber 308 84M With a Burris 3 x 9 ballistic Plex I'd like to stay under 1000 bucks and get to 1000 yards any ideas?
I'm on the cheap right now so I might throw a SWFA fixed 6X or 10X on my light hunter rifle. But I think a Leupold VX-3HD 3-10 or VX-5HD 3-15x44 HTMR. The VX-5HD HTMR would be just over the $1000 at around $1100 but man I think that would be an awesome combo.

So let me get this straight, You were the first to suggest a bigger tube( Op never asked if he needed a bigger tube) Out of context and how may SEAL's do you know?

The 308 was designed to give 30-06 performance in a short action so it is in context as they are for the most part they are ballistic twins

Come to Indiana, No flagged shooting range here, you set the gong wherever you want it ( 1000 yards or further, you pick it), No rangefinders, no ballistic apps, no Kestrels, No spotters and no wind flags, you do your own ranging and call your own wind and lets see who's on target first. I'll be using a straight 10X SWFA scope so when its over you can tell everyone here to be rest assured that a10X is quite adequate. Indianapolis is the nearest airport, I can pick you up there

Lee Brockmeier
6780 West Whitesell Ave
West Terre Haute IN 47885
812-264-6183
I was wondering what took so long for that open invite. 🤣

I am sure you remembered when Rhian extended a similar invitation to Mud to hunt in Montana. Sorry, Brother, I couldn't resist. 😇

Interesting.It brought to mind a school friend.Went to national at 13 years old won,1000y in his bracket,308 iron sights.I shot on a state champ pistol team with his father and brother.One stretch in archery his Dad shot perfect 300's for 5 years in league.Sorry out of context

Recent Posts