Upgrading wifes scope

gentlemen, i understand you have an issue with FACTS so i thought i would post some of what has been said and maybe you can see just how far out of context they have been.

a) she has a Kimber 308 84M With a Burris 3 x 9 ballistic Plex about 6 lbs

b) win pps 308 Weighing in at 8.5lbs

c) m24 marine custom sniper rifle almost 12 lbs.
Effective firing range
  • 800 metres (875 yd)
i know its hard, but try staying in context.
she has a light weight hunting rifle.
the 8,5-25 lue is is about a lb and a half big bump on a 6 lb rifle
the 4.5 to 14 30mm is only a pound i think that is where he should be looking
A big part of this forum and why it is much better than many others is we generally self police ourselves. I will try one more time to help you out. Sorry to the O.P. for this, I hope you already have your answer.

We all understand that you may not be capable of shooting a light rifle well, and because of that (which is nothing to be ashamed of) you are trying to say that someone else shouldn't be capable of it either. And then when people disagree with you by use of personal experience and knowledge, your getting defensive and trying to simply say that everyone else is out of context for replying to your comment, simply as a defense.

Pretty much everyone in this thread (at least the ones that don't already have you on their ignore list...) is not putting any weight in any of your comments, because even if the things you were saying were the gospel truth, the way your presenting yourself here is condescending and overly defensive. Calm yourself, and take a big gulp of humility. If you read information and comments from some of the best rifle builders and shooters in the world on this forum, they don't talk down to people, they don't try to assert their self assigned authority, and if someone disagrees with them, the majority of them simply agree to disagree and let it go, gracefully.

If you are interested in learning and getting better in this field, that is the best way to conduct yourself, and you should work on making that change. If you want to come on here and tell everyone they are wrong, you are right, you know better, and grasp at straws when everyone disagrees with you and is tired of the way you are conducting yourself, then your probably gonna just end up getting yourself booted from this forum, because noone wants to hear it anyway. Best of luck to you sir.

USMC didn't use the M24. FACTS
please correct me, i thought they did.
the long action308's
i m listening
A big part of this forum and why it is much better than many others is we generally self police ourselves. I will try one more time to help you out. Sorry to the O.P. for this, I hope you already have your answer.

We all understand that you may not be capable of shooting a light rifle well, and because of that (which is nothing to be ashamed of) you are trying to say that someone else shouldn't be capable of it either. And then when people disagree with you by use of personal experience and knowledge, your getting defensive and trying to simply say that everyone else is out of context for replying to your comment, simply as a defense.

Pretty much everyone in this thread (at least the ones that don't already have you on their ignore list...) is not putting any weight in any of your comments, because even if the things you were saying were the gospel truth, the way your presenting yourself here is condescending and overly defensive. Calm yourself, and take a big gulp of humility. If you read information and comments from some of the best rifle builders and shooters in the world on this forum, they don't talk down to people, they don't try to assert their self assigned authority, and if someone disagrees with them, the majority of them simply agree to disagree and let it go, gracefully.

If you are interested in learning and getting better in this field, that is the best way to conduct yourself, and you should work on making that change. If you want to come on here and tell everyone they are wrong, you are right, you know better, and grasp at straws when everyone disagrees with you and is tired of the way you are conducting yourself, then your probably gonna just end up getting yourself booted from this forum, because noone wants to hear it anyway. Best of luck to you sir.
please feel free to produce some FACTS showing which of you have consitent hits on a 1 moa or less target with a 6 lb 308 kimber with a light weight scope at 1000 yards.

the long action308's
i m listening

please feel free to produce some FACTS showing which of you have consitent hits on a 1 moa or less target with a 6 lb 308 kimber with a light weight scope at 1000 yards.
Reported. People report this guy to Len so we can get rid of him. Enough reports and Len will take care of this problem for us. Does nothing but argue.

M24 was adopted by the army. USMC has been shooting the m40 series. M40, M40a1, M40a3, M40a5, M40a6 currently but it's on its way out if it isn't already. Field tests with a 300 WM in a chassis was going on in 18/19 to my knowledge. Of course a few others but that's the bolt action lineup. USMC is finally stretching it out, late to the game. I'm talking fielded and standard use, I'm not talking onesies and twosies.

M24 was adopted by the army. USMC has been shooting the m40 series. M40, M40a1, M40a3, M40a5, M40a6 currently but it's on its way out if it isn't already. Field tests with a 300 WM in a chassis was going on in 18/19 to my knowledge. Of course a few others but that's the bolt action lineup. USMC is finally stretching it out, late to the game. I'm talking fielded and standard use, I'm not talking onesies and twosies.
This is 100% correct

lol so again NOT IN CONTEXT. she has a 6 lb hunting rifle and you were trained on a purpose built sniper rifle that weighs FOURTEEN AND A HALF POUNDS. the the listed effective range for that 14 lb rifle in 7.62x51 is 800 meters aprox 875 yards...the mil's spec for the rifle. yes shots have been made even further...but rare not common.
yes competition has happened at 1000 yards with the m14, but not stock m14's custom built target rifles, not 6 lb hunting rifles.

the long action308's
i m listening

lol so again NOT IN CONTEXT. she has a 6 lb hunting rifle and you were trained on a purpose built sniper rifle that weighs FOURTEEN AND A HALF POUNDS. the the listed effective range for that 14 lb rifle in 7.62x51 is 800 meters aprox 875 yards...the mil's spec for the rifle. yes shots have been made even further...but rare not common.
yes competition has happened at 1000 yards with the m14, but not stock m14's custom built target rifles, not 6 lb hunting rifles.
Dumpster.gif

Ok... you stated FACTS earlier while dropping nonsense. I politely corrected you since you were apparently open to a correction despite such strong opinions. I'll take a 6lb rifle that shoots and drop MOA group all day at a 1000. Really not that hard dude. The OP wanted a scope so his wife could stretch it out hunting and fling a few at steel or a dog at extended ranges and your panties are in a wad because the Army and USMC say it's effective range is 800 meters. No one here is saying a factory kimber is bees knees, can she do it. You bet. Goodluck dude.

5 pages of comments!!,

Wifey & I (mutual used property) have a Kimber 84M, .308W. She likes to shoot it because it makes bigger bullet holes in paper targets than her .223 does and it makes steel targets jiggle more. This rifle has a 21" #4, 10 twist McGowen barrel. The tiny, pencil thin, original barrel was replaced as it would heat up fast and accuracy would suffer. Two bullets are used - 125 Speer TNT's & 155 Barnes Match Burners with whatever suitable powder can be scrounged up. The same powders that work in the .223 work with the .308. When shooting at ranges greater than 300, the 155's are used but single loaded as the Kimber's magazine is too short. Despite being limited to fat stubby .30 caliber bullets the little .308 has proven the be a good performer at 600 yards plus with the 155's. Using another .308 rifle I have successfully hit targets at 1,000 with the 155's.

The Kimber may be re-barreled but at a slightly increased cost due to its coned breach face and extractor cut.

Scopes - my recommendations would be a good quality 3-15 or 4.5-14 30mm tube scope with mil type reticle & mil adjustments. Wifey likes my 16X42 SWFA SS Mil Quad with the mil type reticle - a good cheap, reliable scope offering simple reticle/adjustment use. The 16X42 is not for shooting deers in the thick forests.

Well repeatability Is always important And as much light as we can get for the money, just want the scope to be capable of 1000 I know what the 308 will do she likely will never shoot 1000 except for novelty at the range Or a shot at a predator…. What millimeter tube is the shv, Is it by 42 or by 50
So that's the OP's context or criteria for this rifle. He just wanted a scope that was "repeatable" and useable out to 1k. I don't recall the OP setting a 1 moa standard. The first time that was mention that I recall was by pdshooter2. The OP just wanted to have some fun and see what they could do at 1k. No harm in that. Shoot far as you can to see what is possible and consistent. That's the basis of knowing what the rifle, scope, ammo and shooter are capable of. It's also called having fun.

My Winchester M70 FWT 30-06 has a Leupold VariXIII 2.5x8 with mildot reticle on it. Chuck Mawhinney wrote about that scope in an article back in the late 90's or early 2000's. I've shot out to 800 yards with that set up. I don't see any problem shooting out to 1k with that rifle.