Upgrading wifes scope

You can be consistent at 1000 with a .308, I know because I have done it. However how far I would take a shot on an animal depends on the specific load I am using. I had a 215 Berger loaded with RL17 in a 24" .308 going 2550 fps, it was quite capable as long as you had the elevation adjustment, around 30 MOA elevation, 3.75 MOA for a 10 mph wind, 1666 fps/1325 ft-lbs for 1000 yards where I live. Probably not the load I would use in a .308 for a timber gun, but if I was trying to stretch it's capabilities, yes. So, don't let anyone tell you a .308 isn't a capable 1000 yard rig.

As far as optics in that range, Arken has a couple underrated optics, but they are heavy, and for some of them there is a wait, however they have tracked well and have good glass. A Nightforce SHV is a good option as well. For lighter weight, a Leupild vx-5hd or VX-3hd cds 4.5-14 would be good options. Keep your eyes on the classifieds here, sometimes you can find some great deals.

You can be consistent at 1000 with a .308, I know because I have done it. However how far I would take a shot on an animal depends on the specific load I am using. I had a 215 Berger loaded with RL17 in a 24" .308 going 2550 fps, it was quite capable as long as you had the elevation adjustment, around 30 MOA elevation, 3.75 MOA for a 10 mph wind, 1666 fps/1325 ft-lbs for 1000 yards where I live. Probably not the load I would use in a .308 for a timber gun, but if I was trying to stretch it's capabilities, yes. So, don't let anyone tell you a .308 isn't a capable 1000 yard rig.

As far as optics in that range, Arken has a couple underrated optics, but they are heavy, and for some of them there is a wait, however they have tracked well and have good glass. A Nightforce SHV is a good option as well. For lighter weight, a Leupild vx-5hd or VX-3hd cds 4.5-14 would be good options. Keep your eyes on the classifieds here, sometimes you can find some great deals.
absolutely not relavence to his wife's HUNTING RIFLE

sorry but with a 308 you are wishing. yes it can HIT at 1000 but not repeatable in the typical hunters hands.
(mil calls the 308 in a custom sniper rifle an 800 yard gun)
realistically a 30 mm 4.5-10x lue/nightforce
maybe a variable to 16 or 20
navy seals on ther AI 300 win mags with 1200 yd accuracy used a 5.5-22x
my big suggestion is a bigger tube with a name brand scope
That's a bunch of Bull malarkey

Well repeatability Is always important And as much light as we can get for the money, just want the scope to be capable of 1000 I know what the 308 will do she likely will never shoot 1000 except for novelty at the range Or a shot at a predator…. What millimeter tube is the shv, Is it by 42 or by 50
I shoot my PSS 308 win past 1k pretty regularly. Your wife's rifle might have a 22" barrel so she should be able to get out to 1k pretty easily for S/G's. I'd prefer some kind of mil reticle but a duplex with this CDS and glass quality might fit your bill. I haven't looked through one but I'm pretty confident it would be an upgrade. Have fun you two! https://cameralandny.com/shop/leupo...c0?variation=1462045&query=leupold riflescope

sightron is NOTLISTED on your soprt optics by mfg name
Thats wild because I have purchased 3 off of the cameraland sight and have been completely satisfied with all 3 And I just looked and low and behold there they were look at shop by brand and click on Sightron and bingo