Upgrading an older bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Memberberries, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Memberberries

Memberberries Member

I have been using a bear element with a whisker biscuit for the last few years and I have always thought that I was just a mediocre archer until last year when my wife wanted to get a bow. With hers I can shatter knocks easily at 25yds where with my bow I am lucky to get a 3 inch group.

I tried paper tuning and I can't get the same rip pattern twice in a row. I've come to think that I really should get a better rest and that I would like to get a drop away, also I am going to get nicer arrows and having recently bumped the draw weight I need to go with a heavier spine anyway. Any recommendations for best drop away rest under $50?

The apache, truglo, and Nap rests all seem to be pretty common and I am using this for hunting so I like the semi-captive better than the target open style stuff.

2. Ckgworks

Ckgworks Well-Known Member

I have used a Trophy Taker Shaky Hunter for a long time, and am completely happy with it......adding a notched arrow holder in front of it, I have had no problems with containing the arrow while hunting. I'm not sure if they still make this rest, but there are some on online auction for less than $50.00.
    I would buy the simplest rest (Less moving parts, the better) you can find if you are going for low cost......Less moving parts the better. I have several nephews that were using cheaper drop-away rests that came with their bows, and after I seen them them not release a couple times, I really liked my simple drop rest much more.
    Based on my experience, I wonder if the grip on your wife's bow fits your hand better than yours.......For me, tuning issues come from my grip on the bow hand causing torque. When I ensure my grip is open and has minimal contact on the grip, everything is good.

3. Memberberries

Memberberries Member

I hadn't though about adding an arrow holder in addition to a rest. That might be just what I'm after. My wife is shooting a bowtech fuel and I have paper tuned it as well with very good results so I don't think my grip is what was causing the problems, I've spent a lot of time working on my grip in the last couple years. I am keeping open and letting the wrist sling do it job after the shot.

4. Ckgworks

Ckgworks Well-Known Member

This is more what I meant........ I shot a Mathews for almost 12 years, when it came time for a new bow, I switched to a Bow Tech. They were both of about the same level of performance, but it always felt like I was off and couldn't shoot as well any more. after a couple years, my nephew picked up a new Mathews and when I shot it, it was just like the good old days. In comparing the actual grip of the bows, they are at different angles, thickness, etc..... I also shot my brothers top end Hoyt, and what it came down to was the grip on the bow it's self fit my hand (and form) better. I ended up switching back to Mathews and find keeping myself shooting good much easier.

5. Memberberries

Memberberries Member

Interesting, I had always thought that as long as my form was good and consistent and that the grip was comfortable that I was good to go in that department. I guess I should see how many buddy's bows I can shoot before I upgrade lol

6. MatthewW

MatthewW Member

Test them out, comfort and fit go a long ways. I have several friends who are lifelong Hoyt shooters and swear by them, but my dad and I have been shooting Mathew's for forever and neither of us do as well using the other brand. They're all quality products it just comes down to what works for you.