Upgraded scope on rifle and now I can't shoot groups - Help!

Shane Lindsey

I just put an X3 on a rifle and while boresighting on the mailbox, I ran out of elevation. Love the weight and glass clarity, but no internal movement. I haven't shot it yet, but not hopefull.

Good luck.

Shane Lindsey

Were all groups bad or did they start out ok? How hot was your barrel.
I ask because with longer strings (like sighting in/zero) I tend to shoot faster. Barrel heats up and causes me really bad mirage. That definitely causes my groups to go to pot. If it is a heavy barrel, disregard.

DSheetz

What rifle action did you put it on ? Does it make any difference if the rings are front or back rings , as they can cause pressure problems at times ? I have seen this with Browning actions where the rings look nearly the same but don't interchange front to back and work out well . Is the new scope touching the barrel ? Are the rifles action screws still tight ? What type of stock is the rifle mounted in , wood , synthetic , laminated ? What type of shooting platform are you using , bags , ect. ? Is the barrel still clean any carbon ring or other build up in it ? So many variables so many questions that need answers to figure it out .

T3ninja

Do you still have the old scope? If you do, put it in the new rings, then try it again. Maybe the swaro isn’t good. That would be my first thing to do. It will rule out the mounts AND the scope. Assuming everything else is working like it did before the optic change.