Upgrade Equipment

KPB71

I have been using a Forster Original trimmer for 10yrs now. I reload 9 rifles that means i change out the pilot 9 times and adjust lenght is there some thing faster and better ? what do you all recommend. Thanks

Left the manual trimmer recently and went with the Frankfort Arsenal case prep station. At first I had my doubts about the accuracy/repeatability of it but after using it a couple of times, it works great.

I was hoping the new machine would help alleviate the sore fingers/hands I got with my manual trimmer but it doesn't. They still get sore but at least I'm getting twice as much brass prepped now.

I always wanted to try the RCBS electric trimmer with the triple cutting head just never got around to it. JohnnyK.

The Wilson trimmer with micrometer adjustment is ewhat I have always used.

I hate trimming brass especially by hand.

[ame]https://youtu.be/L6JNeL8MDCc[/ame]

Here is a set up I use to pre trim .223 brass that has been sawed prior to being converted to 300 Blackout. I never could get the Lyman trimmer to cut square using it manually because of all the misalignment from the chuck to the cutter shaft. By putting it in the press and centering the shaft and holding it rigid I am able to get square cuts and process large lots of brass quickly. I did have to make a pilot that fits the body of the .223 brass. The drill stop on the press must be used to control depth because of the mechanical advantage of the press, I had more consistent lengths by doing this I guess due to flex in the base of the trimmer.

Attachments

• Lyman Trimmer 002.jpg
    Lyman Trimmer 002.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Lyman Trimmer 001.jpg
    Lyman Trimmer 001.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 51
I have the RCBS and it is slow. Also, brass is hard to get into head so won't get rid of sore fingers. Its very accurate though.
Brian

I use the Lee trimmer setup two ways. If I have a lot of brass, I put the trimmer part in the drill press chuck and away I go. I use some vise grips on the cases that need serious trimming. Crazy fast way of doing it. If I'm doing fewer cases, I'll just use the hand power drill with the case holding part in the chuck. About half the speed of the drill press method.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.