updates on handheld range finders

The Pro 32 is Leica's latest. Its no Swaro Pure for comfort and the readout is dimmer than I like but it ranges well - a mile in daylight usually not an issue. My sig 2400 abs can't do that handheld. The new Sig 8000k can. Sig binos are clunky and a step down in optics. Make sure your handheld works with OnX or Basemap. Range and it marks target on your app for hiking right to it. At 1000 yards plus over rugged dense terrain thats huge.
I didn't know they could do that, can you explain how to do this and/or which models do that? I have sig kilo 2200 and Leupold 1600tbr. This would be interesting feature.

Which do you recommend?
To answer the ?, I use the SigKilo2200 w/AB software…ranges farther than I can hit steel…which is 1400yds.
We have been using the Athlon Cronus 10x50 Ranging bino. No ballistics app, but ranges very well. I can get out to over 2000y regularly and they are better in snow, fog, etc than the Lica hand helds we used previously. As a bino they are very nice and no trouble spending hours in them glassing. No eye fatigue.

I use my Geovid ranging binoculars primarily for general glassing, and ranging the short to mid range shots which rarely require a ballistic calculator to make the shot. I find binoculars too awkward to manage when I move to a shooting position with the more technical, longer range shots. Once behind the rifle, and in position, A compact, full capability Ballistic RF is much faster and easier for me to manage. This is particularly important if the game is moving around or additional inputs/corrections are required….A frequent occurrence for me. I suspect each hunter has their own particular methodology.

Here's a great deal on a great RF! New York Cameraland

Attachments

• 15BBBDAC-CC03-4FA8-8267-0DF5455AB1BA.png
    15BBBDAC-CC03-4FA8-8267-0DF5455AB1BA.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 64
Greyfox,
Thanks, your insights which seem very sensible. We are starting the process to build a very long range .338 for early morning, late evening stands. This heavy weapon will be impractical for anything else and the rangefinder with ballistics calculator, when getting in position for the prone or tripod shot, seems to be the best choice to me.

Greyfox,
Thanks, your insights which seem very sensible. We are starting the process to build a very long range .338 for early morning, late evening stands. This heavy weapon will be impractical for anything else and the rangefinder with ballistics calculator, when getting in position for the prone or tripod shot, seems to be the best choice to me.
When in the prone position, just set your ranging binoculars on top of your scope to make it very steady. Works well for me.

Last edited: