*Updated 10/29* Terminal Performance 6.5mm 130gr CEB

Outlaw6.0

Sort of :rolleyes: I'm somewhat forgetful & didn't get any pics of the animal damage but very similar to the results i've gotten from Barnes in the past.

What wasn't similar & why i'm sharing this with you is the fragments found during skinning. No recovered bulletz though.....

These fragments were found imbedded in the offside of the fuzzy wuzzie.... never found any of these with the Barnes, guess it shocked me to see a mono come apart.
Not that that's a bad thing I guess. Can't say these don't expand!

Attachments

• CEB Frags (2).jpg
    CEB Frags (2).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 221
  • CEB Frags (3).jpg
    CEB Frags (3).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 215
Re: Terminal Performance of 6.5mm 130gr CEB

Fragments can be a good thing! What animal, distance and what was your muzzle velocity?

If you go to the CEB website and go to bullet design under technical info you'll see they want bullet to blow up and send shards through the vitals, there are several pics of bullets in pieces, by design and material they are not going to hold together like a Barnes which I think may be a good thing!

BNG, you're absolutely correct... I missed that info somehow, another example of "never assume!".

Thank you brother.

From CEB:

"No matter what your preference in hunting is, there are sometimes occasions when you hit your target where you didn't intend to due to your target moving at the moment you squeeze the trigger or some other unforeseen circumstance. This is the time when you need a bullet that will perform at its best. Our goal was to develop a bullet that would not fragment into tiny pieces if bone was hit as in front shoulder shots but yet expand rapidly when bone was not hit as in between the ribs or gut shots. Our hollow point design accomplished this beyond our expectations. There are no bullets perfect for every circumstance and we don't pretend ours are, but they certainly performed beyond our expectations when elk and deer hunting in 2009 and 2010. We recovered some of the bullets shot from a .338 Tomahawk at long range and a 300WSM at close range, that inflicted massive amounts of damage as shown and described in the pictures in our Media section from a few bull elk and deer we took. Some pass through photos are also shown on some others. Please keep in mind, if there is a warning about a hidden picture being graphic in nature, and you are bothered by such things, do not click to open the file. They are actual wound channels in animals that were taken and are very graphic in nature. They do however demonstrate how well the bullets performed.
Our philosophy of a good hunting bullet is, we are not necessarily after pass-through performance, rather we prefer inflicting a maximum amount of damage through hydrostatic shock and shrapnel to destroy internal organs. The more energy that is absorbed by the animal, the faster it will die. Some of our bullets, particularly the MTH™ D65 .338 252gr LD-HPBT-MAX-AGG bullets, do come apart as intended when only flesh or organs are hit (see .338 800 yard bull, .338 600 yard bull, .338 760 yard bear) but the pieces are large and carry through the game making multiple wound channels. This is due to hydraulic pressure from fluid entering the hollow point and causing it to split into two or more large pieces. No, they are not pretty petals like that of some other solid copper bullet manufacturers selling on the idea their bullets have controlled expansion, rather, they are a nasty looking banana shaped pieces that probably tumble and twist and god knows what as they are going through organs (see "bullet fragment" pictures in our Media section). This destructive performance has only been witnessed with this particular bullet at long and close range because of it's aggressive design with all other calibers and bullets resulting in classic mushrooms of 1 1/2 times the bullet diameter. Rarely, if ever, do they not pass completly through an animal on a broad side front shoulder shot."

Very interesting, not sure how I feel about it... I have never had a barnes fail to expand but this kind of brings in a third theory of what makes a good bullet...the Berger crowd, the Barnes crowd and the ones in the middle, CE.. at least that is how I am interpreting the performance...is that what you are getting?

Very interesting, not sure how I feel about it... I have never had a barnes fail to expand but this kind of brings in a third theory of what makes a good bullet...the Berger crowd, the Barnes crowd and the ones in the middle, CE.. at least that is how I am interpreting the performance...is that what you are getting?

Mike i'm right there with you...not real sure what to think about it. If it comes apart like that in soft tissue; what is it going to do on a shoulder? Never had expansion issues with Barnes either (neither have my out of state hunters). I will test this bullet more for sure, one fuzzy wuzzy doesn't tell me enough, especially now that i'm intrigued by the performance.
I still have my "lope tag waiting so stay tuned. :D

Very interested, I would like to see what it would do if you center punched an elk in the shoulder.

Right!? With the bigger 30's & 338's, i'd have no problem wacking a shoulder but with my iddy biddy 6.5... ehhh

Tell you what, If I get the chance, i'll center punch my 'lope's shoulder just to see if the bullet will take the abuse or not. Should be a pretty good test medium :cool:

Right!? With the bigger 30's & 338's, i'd have no problem wacking a shoulder but with my iddy biddy 6.5... ehhh

Tell you what, If I get the chance, i'll center punch my 'lope's shoulder just to see if the bullet will take the abuse or not. Should be a pretty good test medium :cool:
Sounds like a deal...if you dont you are dead to me!:D

Great Post. There has been a lot of interest on other threads regarding whether or not the CE bullet were actually fragmenting like they are supposed to. Unless I missed some updates, up until now it has been hard to determine because all the the bullets were getting complete pass throughs from almost any angle and quick kills too I might add.

I am interested to know if there was a pass through on this one as well? If so the base likely held enough weight to still get a pass though while the upper portion fragmented and did what it was designed to do. Just about the perfect bullet performance IMO!

Knowing if there was a pass through would also help determine how much this bullet could take if it hit more bone.

Scot E.

Scot, I refrained from adding that info as my findings were inconclusive. There was evidence of an exit BUT, the damage was minimal so to speak. No quarter size hole or other major size exit unless I missed it... I could not determine if it was damage from fragments or the core itself to an extent where I could honestly say Yes, it exited....

I'm sure that'll muddy the waters a little bit :rolleyes:

Scot, I refrained from adding that info as my findings were inconclusive. There was evidence of an exit BUT, the damage was minimal so to speak. No quarter size hole or other major size exit unless I missed it... I could not determine if it was damage from fragments or the core itself to an extent where I could honestly say Yes, it exited....

I'm sure that'll muddy the waters a little bit :rolleyes:
That's fine, good info nonetheless. The banana peels were located on the far side though correct?

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.