Update on 6.5-06 or 6.5-284

7stw

I originally started this thread this winter during my lay-off period from my job. When I recently returned to work, we were informed that the up coming year does not look as promising as we would like. That being said, most of my Custom gun dreams had to go on the proverbial back burner. But I needed something to shoot, other than my big guns, or the ones that I have for "just" hunting. So I am in the process of buying a Savage model #12 VLP DM. It has a laminated stock and is in .308 and wears a stainless barrel. Then I got to thinking about some things that I learned about on this website. That is , that I can effectively have a switch barrel gun, as long as the bolt face is the same. Then I heard of a place that has pre=threaded and chambered barrels for Savage rifles that seemed reasonbly priced in 6.5-284. Bottom line is that I now have something to shoot, and something that WILL shoot better. I have always been a remmie man, so to me this is HUGE! I had a remy action lined up for the build, but it ended up being in very poor condition when I looked at it closer. I may not go with the Pre-made barrel, but at least it is an option. Can you buy factory barrels from Savage? I'm starting to see the light with Savage. And this is going to be a less expensive build, but will be every bit as good as my first concept, and some of yours as well. Any thoughts or suggestions on this NEW platform? Thanks to all! 7STW AIM SMALL, MISS SMALLgun)lightbulb

7STW,

"That is , that I can effectively have a switch barrel gun, as long as the bolt face is the same."

You can change the bolt face on a Savage. Look at the left tab "Factory Parts" on this website; www. sharpshootersupply.com - Lot's of good info. JohnnyK.

7STW,

"That is , that I can effectively have a switch barrel gun, as long as the bolt face is the same."

You can change the bolt face on a Savage. Look at the left tab "Factory Parts" on this website; www. sharpshootersupply.com - Lot's of good info. JohnnyK.
johnnyk, AND loaderloft, thanks for the info. I am really excited with the possibilties with this new gun. It has taken a LOT of consideration to make this leap. Like I said before, I have been a Remington man my whole life, and have shot them almost exclusively, and would not even consider another brand. But these Savage rifles are more gun than can be appreciated, especially when you concider doing what I am about to do, without going to a gunsmith. (at least for the most part) I also recently picked up a 10fp, pre-accutrigger, and that thing SHOOTS!. It is in 223. Will check out that website. Maybe I even have more options than I thought! 7STWgun)lightbulb

Last edited:
7stw, I think you'll be pleased going the Savage route what with the flexibility and in the long run cost savings. Enjoy.

7stw, I think you'll be pleased going the Savage route what with the flexibility and in the long run cost savings. Enjoy.
Chas1, Thanks for the reply. I just went to the above mentioned websites, and found SO much info and goodies!I joined the www.savageshooters.com website, did not "surf" much, but will spend some time at it tomorrow. Like I mentioned in my thread starter, the financial aspect on this coming year at work is a little questionable, and THAT is what really changed my way of thinking about my options. In some ways like you said, I will be better off, and save some $ to boot! I just love the the simplicity of the Savage rifles, and the ability to make otherwise expensive changes yourself, and the flexibility issue. This website is where I got most of my knowledge on Savages . Any other info or thoughts please pass it on. Thanks in advance. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL!:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.