Unobtainium/Reloader 26

I think they changed the strength of RL26 over the last 2 years. The stuff I have been fortunate enough to find lately has gotten lately is considerably slower (velocity wise) than powder from pre pandemic. This is comparing 3 different pre-pandemic lots to 3 post-pandemic lots, so it's not just a one off. FYI: Alliant powder lot numbers contain a date code.

I had some great loads worked up, slightly compressed (101-103%), that now I can't fit enough in the casing to get back to the velocity/node. Basically cartridges in the 50-60 gr charge weight now take 1.5-2.5 grains more to reach the same velocity. This is with the same cases (3-4X), primers, bullets, guns, chrony, temp, etc.

Anyone else seeing the same issue? Basically (some of) the magic is gone. Perhaps they are "cutting" the mix, so we have to buy and use more? :) Else maybe I just got very lucky and now unlucky.

Last edited:
I think they changed the strength of RL26 over the last 2 years. The stuff I have been fortunate enough to find lately has gotten lately is considerably slower (velocity wise) than powder from pre pandemic. This is comparing 3 different pre-pandemic lots to 3 post-pandemic lots, so it's not just a one off. FYI: Alliant powder lot numbers contain a date code.

I had some great loads worked up, slightly compressed (101-103%), that now I can't fit enough in the casing to get back to the velocity/node. Basically cartridges in the 50-60 gr charge weight now take 1.5-2.5 grains more to reach the same velocity. This is with the same cases (3-4X), primers, bullets, guns, chrony, temp, etc.

Anyone else seeing the same issue? Basically (some of) the magic is gone. Perhaps they are "cutting" the mix, so we have to buy and use more? :) Else maybe I just got very lucky and now unlucky.
I've had some similar issues. My main issue with RL26 is it's not temp stable in large temp swings. I developed a load last year in about 50 degrees. Shot a few weeks ago at 84 degrees and was way over pressure. Shot the other day early in about 65 degrees and was okay then shot it again later in the morning when it was 81 and over pressure again. I live in Az so temp stability is very important. I'm going to try and develop load when hotter out and then shoot at cooler temps and see how it effects velocity and SDs. If it continues I'll sell what I have and move to n565 maybe.

I saw similar pressure issue with my .270TH with 156HH load that was 1.5 gr under the first sign of pressure and shot well. I just happen to shoot it when it was over 80 degrees and got hard ejector mark on base that never was there before so it is definitely susceptible to temp. Velocity was still the same and it was a newer 1 lb bottle.

I was seeing that in my 300 Win Mag with RE22. Spikes as ambient temps rose. Also with RE17 in a 6.5x47. So far, I haven't seen it with this powder in the 300 PRC.
I shoot in my 300 WM. With GM215M, Norma case, 78.0 rl-26, & 190 SMK I'm ~ 3170 fps shooting 1 ragged hole with decent SDs. I'd always preferred H1000 which I have plenty of, but rl-26 performs so much better I'm using it in my 300 WM, 65 PRC, & if I didn't have a PRC I could use it in my 65 CM to get PRC type performance. Im shooting in 90 degree + temperatures. There is some pressure sensitivity, but it is no more than H1000 and much better than rl-25 & rl-22.
it was so popular before the current crisis that it was hard to find when times were good. Before the current crisis companies used to accept back orders for it. That is how I was able to stock up on it.

Haven't had any issue getting R26 up here in Alberta. It's the only thing that works in my 270wsm. I've been trying it in the new 6.5 prc but so far I'm not impressed with the velocity

I noticed that in a few cartridges I can get nearly equal velocity (-50 ft/sec or so) with a slightly smaller charge of RE23. RE23 appears to be wayyyyy more temperature stable than RE26. I've got several pounds of each but I'm trying to get away from RE26 for future reloading. The difficult part is that RE26 does not only produce high velocity but seems extremely accurate in a few cartridges.

My 300PRC with a 230 A-Tip gets 3080FPS with a 28 inch barrel and my 6.5 Creedmoor gets 2987FPS with a 140 Berger and 26 inch barrel and they both shoot .3-.4 MOA so I got 32 pounds of it!!lol

My 300PRC with a 230 A-Tip gets 3080FPS with a 28 inch barrel and my 6.5 Creedmoor gets 2987FPS with a 140 Berger and 26 inch barrel and they both shoot .3-.4 MOA so I got 32 pounds of it!!lol
How much of that magic dust are you putting under the 140 Berger? I'm running 47gr and getting 2,860 ft/sec in my 26" Browning. Your load is nearly equivalent to my PRC load.

I use 48 grains/RL26 with a CCI200 primer in Hornady brass. 4th firing on the brass and primer pockets are tight and no ejector mark or signs of stressing the brass that I can see. It's a shooter for sure.