unknown powder

I had about 400 22-250 loads given to me, 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tip boat tail bullets, 30.5 grains of some sort of extruded powder?
Trying to id the powder but cant come up with anything. Checked my books and dont see a load i thought would match it?

Any Help

Dont want to waste the bu
I agree with a previous reply. Pull the bullets, dump the powder and primers and reload to your specs.

Last edited:
Hmm, do you trust the source? You could shoot them. My guess is it may be H110 as it's a popular powder for that cartridge. Now, if no extruded powder with that Bullet in that cartridge is not an overload at that charge weight, then just shoot and enjoy

H110 is a magnum pistol powder and a load of 30 grains would be utterly catastrophic!!!

That's great! I swear I have Accurate #9 in a pill bottle from when I was loading .357 mag but never marked it. I weighed what's was in my can, which was new; then weighed the contents of the pill bottle, minus about 50 loads, and could deduce it was nearly exactly what I was missing. But a picture for confirmation of something you can't identify is great to have! Thanks for the new bookmark.

That's great! I swear I have Accurate #9 in a pill bottle from when I was loading .357 mag but never marked it. I weighed what's was in my can, which was new; then weighed the contents of the pill bottle, minus about 50 loads, and could deduce it was nearly exactly what I was missing. But a picture for confirmation of something you can't identify is great to have! Thanks for the new bookmark.
Keep it in your bookmarks. good info.

I had about 400 22-250 loads given to me, 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tip boat tail bullets, 30.5 grains of some sort of extruded powder?
Trying to id the powder but cant come up with anything. Checked my books and dont see a load i thought would match it?

Any Help

Dont want to waste the bullets.
How do they shoot? Best bet is to run 'em. Thousands of folks will tell you you're gonna die if you do. But I haven't met one person who took the time to reload that didn't play the game between the lines. "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Ron Watson marine sniper 1967-1969

Any Help

Dont want to waste the bullets.
I would dispose of the unknown powder any unknown powder is dangerous a life isn't worth the price of a bullet

Pull the bullets and dump the powder. You only get to blow your **** head off one time. It's not worth the risk for 20.00 worth of powder. There's nothing quite like a rifle skattering all over the place right in front of your face. And if you don't believe me just ask me.

The odds are, you could shoot every stinkin' one of them and never even flatten a primer.
But what are the stakes you're playing with?
You have one "unknown" in your equation. So ... what do you have to lose?
Those loads may have been through gun shows, estate sales, yard sales, bad storage ... yeah, I've got some loose stuff like that too. If you had the original loader by the ears, he probably wouldn't even remember. [Or even admit to it!] The 22-250's been around for a long time.
If you don't want to pull those bullets, it's easy for me to say "pull those bullets" and move on. But shooters and handloaders are obsessive about salvaging little bits and pieces that mean nothing. If they were mine, I'd dump the powder in the burn pile and say "Thanks!" for the other components. As you know, smokeless powder burns slowly in the open ... blackpowder goes up with a "Whoof!"
Speaking of which, SOMEbody tossed ... must have been about 500 old primers ... onto my burn pile last year. When things settled down toward the fire bed, they sure were a'poppin'! We retired to a respectful distance and speculated about which of our friends/neighbors might have that kind of humor! Nobody got hit by a flying primer, but it sure was a ... o_O "crackling" fire! 🤣

Right, his kids shot that gun a lot so they might have been loaded for them. I got plenty of H380 i can push them with not worried about losing the powder. Just want something that shoots close to what i have loaded so im still on target.
Well an update to my powder question, I shot several rounds thru the crony. As I stated earlier, these things have little recoil and don't produce a
Bang!!! like other loads.
These things are running 3550 fps. I couldn't believe it, that's the reason I fired several rounds to validate the numbers.
I've only been loading about 20 years but never had something make so little noise and go so fast.
As far as the bullets , I watched his kids shoot some of them from the same batch so I wasn't to concerned, That's just me I guess.
Don''t trust a lot of people, but him I dol

how is the accuracy from your rifle will be nice if you can just shoot them up instead of pulling bullets and starting over

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts