unknown powder

30 gr. 3031 and a 52 grain unknown bullet was my Varminter load for years. When I got the rifle all the cases were .250 Savage. Powder was $3.95 per pound from a gun shop in Madison, WI. This was 1962. Shot bug hole groups, and made feather pillows of crows.

I realize the usual adage is 'don't shoot another's reloads'. Yes, that's accurate much of the time. I don't feel like buying unknown reloads at the gunshow.

On the other hand, if the loads are from a relative or known source, experienced reloader, I may well proceed with precautions. I normally would like to know the recipe, power, charge weight & bullet weight. I may then take a few apart, weigh the powder, adjust if needed.

Back to the OP'er's question, 30.5 grains of powder for 'most' 22-250 loads is on the lighter side. Most any pistol powder is ball or flake, yes, could be IMR-3031.

If you do shoot a few, testing with the chronograph is a good step.

Maybe I missed a previous comment but first thing that comes to mind; if a friend gave them to you can't he tell you the powder, components, etc ?? If it's, well he got them from a different friend, who got them from another friend, who found them in some rental house closet then I d proceed "cautiously" .... just my experience/way of thinking.

Sometimes free ain't free !!

I had about 400 22-250 loads given to me, 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tip boat tail bullets, 30.5 grains of some sort of extruded powder?
Trying to id the powder but cant come up with anything. Checked my books and dont see a load i thought would match it?

Any Help

Dont want to waste the bullets.
Pull the bullets and dump the powder...no reason to guess if all you want are the bullets. Keep in mind that no manufacturer is going to go within 10-15% of a maximum load for reasons of liability. Therefore it makes it virtually impossible to know which powder it is....any idea how old the bullets are? There are currently 11 different powders listed at Loaddata.com for this round! Take your pick?

Last edited:
what we did was take a road trip to a rural area in new mexico hit the cafes early am and lunch and feed stores/ranch supply stores talked to some locals and developed an area about 100 sq miles were we shoot them one of the ranchers lets us stay in an old house on one of his pastures They do not like the dogs but dont want to poison so we were a very good answer to their problem once you get get in with one or two landowners the others will come this may cost you a few meals or beers they have never taken money and we offer everytime we go so they do get some nice xmas presents they have also invited us out to shoot antelope a few times and no I wont tell you what area this is sorry :)
😂😂😂😂exactly

Attached is Nosler load data for the 55BT and interesting that the starting load for IMR 4064 is 30.5 grains. That velocity is about 3200 fps so if they chronograph out to be similar it may be IMR4064 which is very common powder for the 22-250.

Attachments

• 22-250-Remington-55gr.pdf
    787.2 KB · Views: 151
30 gr. 3031 and a 52 grain unknown bullet was my Varminter load for years. When I got the rifle all the cases were .250 Savage. Powder was $3.95 per pound from a gun shop in Madison, WI. This was 1962. Shot bug hole groups, and made feather pillows of crows.
🤣 Just how old .....is Dirt?

Well, at least the few rounds you shot didn't send you to the hospital. The pressure signs on the case should give you an idea if you're in dangerous territory. Now...on to using a Magneto since clouds affect your chrono. The Magneto is much more reliable and consistent.

If your buddy does not keep records and cannot remember what powder he used to make 400 rounds, I would not have shot them in the first place. Since you already have, and they show no pressure signs, seem to group well, what powder he used is pretty much irrelevant. Shoot them and then reload the brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts