unknown powder

I had about 400 22-250 loads given to me, 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tip boat tail bullets, 30.5 grains of some sort of extruded powder?
Trying to id the powder but cant come up with anything. Checked my books and dont see a load i thought would match it?

Any Help

Dont want to waste the bullets.
Sounds like a 4895 load for a H&R single shot rifle. The H&R couldn't deal with normal load without locking up. My max load for our old H&R was 31 grs of 4895 or Varget.

yes they were given to by a friend of mine who loads but got rid of his 22-2250, I shot a couple thru the crony but it was to cloudy and got a reading of 600fps lol but i can tell they are greatly reduced loads. I will try again and get an accurate reading.

The Red Mist Exactly, I live in Eastern oklahoma and have been trying to find a place in the western part of the state to shoot dogs without going thru a guide, if any fellow shooters have any info, lol Thanks

FYI my own hand loads run about 3400 fps
I understand your curiosity as to what powder and perhaps I missed where someone else asked the same question; why don't you just call your friend and ask him? Well, good luck.

I had about 400 22-250 loads given to me, 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tip boat tail bullets, 30.5 grains of some sort of extruded powder?
Trying to id the powder but cant come up with anything. Checked my books and dont see a load i thought would match it?

Any Help

Look at your load books and find what is closest to the weight you described.

What is everyone's favorite load for the 22-250 and 55gr nosler bullets. I have been working with some 380 powder, but just wondering what others found that they liked.

Any Help

Pull them, reload them with your recipe, I mean hey a little powder and your set. They will be cleaned, sized, primed and you have the the bullets so maybe an hour to hour and a half and you will have something you want instead of something you will always wonder about. My Grandpa used to tell me don't look at the mouth of a gift horse. Happy shooting.

I'm no expert. But if you shoot one in your gun through the chrono and the velocity is reasonable, and it's not hard to extract, and the primer isn't flattened, why not shoot some to check SD and ES and accuracy. Might be a usable load? Maybe they shoot great? After you shoot them you can check the cases to ensure there is no head separation in store for you, and then reload them however you want. Sounds like a lot of fun shooting and free brass?

Any Help

Nosler 4th and 3d edition roloading hand book lists 30.5 grs BL- C-2 Imr 4895 and I MR 4064 as a bottom load 55 gr ballistic tip and spitzer solid base bullet

I once obtained a few hundred reloads from a widow. The bullets were "Sisk" 55 grain sp. They were loaded 220 Swift. The handwriting was very squiggly like you see with a OLD man. The 4064 charge was about right. I pulled and weighed 10 random loads. I then shot them- ALL of them eventually. I never found a load to duplicate or beat this one. I guess that 14 twist liked the Sisk bullets. Wish I had a bunch of those bullets for coyotes.

If you dump that powder on a clean sheet of paper and put a scale next to it, that powder should be easy to identify.

If my best friend said I just loaded these, I would give him a thorough round of questioning before I put them in any of my weapons. I personally would pull the bullets, weigh enough of them to get a basic idea of their weight, throw away the powder, keep the primed cases, load the cases with a KNOWN powder and use them for practice. If you feel comfortable with the bullets, run them over a chronograph, get some information using inexpensive bullets.
Saving an unknown powder and "building" a load based on a guess is a quick way to damage or ruin a barrel not to mention an action. You can buy an awful lot of powder, even at the price of powder today, if you ruin a barrel, action or take a trip to the hospital.
Now think about the explosion that going to happen only inches from your eyes, face and head.

My two cents worth, after reloading for over fifty years, of my opinion. Grain of salt should also be taken with my opinion.
I have 100 loaded 300 Sav and I knew the reloader s family that gave me all his stuff but the unknown is what is it, I keep looking at it thinking what should I do.

Any Help

I have a similar load and 55 gr bullet ( Sierra gameking I think for 556/ 223 using Varget at a bit over 30 grains. ???

Any Help

Hmm, do you trust the source? You could shoot them. My guess is it may be H110 as it's a popular powder for that cartridge. Now, if no extruded powder with that Bullet in that cartridge is not an overload at that charge weight, then just shoot and enjoy

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts