Unit 79 Colorado cow Tips?

huntxtrm

Pretty new to Elk hunting. Have been twice, have seen nota! Unit 76 and unit 79. Going to 79 again this year. First season. 10/10-10/14. Any body have any tips? The weather fouled us the first 2 trips. We were snowed on like crazy, and the moon was up all night. Looked like daylight at midnight. I think that had something to do with it. I put miles and miles on my boots through those mountains. Seen lots of tracks, a couple of moose, some deer, some birds, some rabbits. but no elk. Enjoyed the experience neverless. But, I would like to put one in the freezer this year. I have a cow tag. I want to shoot a cow before I start going after a bull. Any help would certainly be appreciated. don't really want a guide, to costly, and I really like traveling the mountains in solitude. That's actually why I go, to get a away from it all.gun)

Elk in southern CO migrate to New Mexico. Elk get difficult to find after opening day of the draw only rifle season. If a cow is what you want apply for the late seasons in northern New Mexico or muzzleloader seasons in CO. Especially for bulls.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts