Unit 51 CO Hunt for Sept

Point_Taken

Anyone got any experience with this hunt in this area/time frame or should I opt for a refund on the tag?

If you drew a tag for 51, there must be a reason why you applied???? That's in the Pike NF, but not far from an area I have hunted and seen bear. Bears are where you find them in the fall.

Haha yeah, I should have specified a little more. I applied for a few tags that I wasn't expecting to draw, which I ended up drawing on.

CO success rate on bears is somewhere around 8%. If you don't have the time to work it, I'd turn it back in. I tend to be around 75% successful, but I spend a bit of time in Sept looking for them. Good luck either way. If you do go, find acorns and berries and look for bear sign.

Yeah my plan was to go out there for one week in Sept, about 7-8 days in the field. But probably won't have anytime to scout the month prior since now I have a hunt in August.

Saw one in unit 51 last year when I was out elk hunting in September. Of course, that was the one year I didn't pick up a tag.

Successful this year, but I moved to and hunted in Montana! Last year I hunted 51 in Colorado with muzzleloader. Didn't connect but got close on a couple bulls. Probably could've had one if I knew how to bugle back then. In that one week I hunted I had that bear walk by at about 50 yards, and I had a mountain lion walk right up to me at 17 yards (ranged him).

There are plenty of elk and other critters in 51 if you know where to find them. I could find elk around the rut in September, but come rifle season, they're all somewhere else, and I don't know where.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.