Unit 34 New Mexico Mule Deer Hunting

Cowboy Up 24

Hi its my first time applying for a NM tag. I drew for unit 34 mule deer rifle season Nov 10-14. I am looking for any advice on where to start? good places to camp. I am not looking for anyones honey holes, I just greatly would appreciate any pointers and info you have on this unit. Hunting is my passion , I love do it yourself hunts and would walk that extra mile to be on a throphy buck. What size animals do expect to see? I know unit 34 is a big unit, what part of the unit is better for bigger mule deer?

are utvs and atvs permitted in this unit?

thanks

hope to hear from you all

Cowboy up - Sorry but I don't have much good news for you about unit 34. I live in El Paso and spend a lot of time up in Cloudcroft/unit 34 have hunted there quite a bit in the past (mainly for elk but several times for deer too)

1) Get ready for a LOT of hunters. There are a LOT of tags for unit 34. But after the weekend, a lot of them will go home.
2) ATV's are allowed but ONLY on roads. You cannot take a ATV off any road so they don't do you a lot of good.
3) Trophy quality is poor. Most people shoot the 1st legal buck they see so the bucks don't get a chance to grow up but the Game Wardens have told me that the area does not have the genetics to grow trophy deer A 140 class deer is a monster for up there. The deer are the desert sub speicies so they just don't get very big.
4) You will see LOTS of does, it is amazing the number of deer in the unit, mainly does. I was coyote hunting up there in February and we must have seen 100 does a day.
5) If I were you, I would try the area around Pinon. From the time that I have spent up there, that is where we have seen the largest number of bucks.

Sorry to be the bearer of mainly bad news. Good news is, it's a beautiful area and a nice time of the year to be running the mountains!

Hi thanks for the info.

Its good to know what to expect when I get there.

I also been reading theres not much thophy potential in that unit for mule deer.

I been doing some research and timberon and raton areas may have best number of deer. But does areas close to the towns are private.

I was thinking of hunting 16 springs canyon area close to the mescalero apache reservation border. Planing on staying at camp of tall pines and from there everyday hed to the hunting spots.

I am still not sure if u should hunt up in the timber or down at the desert

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.